Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can someone help me with my old 460?

crzybill, you could be right too, geez, how does anyone know what to fix with so many things to consider? Maybe it's all of it, maybe the poor old fuel filter is giving up, and the crap in the tank is stressing it anyway.
John Deer, thanks again for that explanation
I"m seeing a new tank, or cleaned tank, with a new pump in Betsy's future.
will have to wait till spring till I can afford it,
what great info I got today, thanks everyone
fl

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
if you have a 19 gallon tank the whole pump assembly will be around 130 ish but a rebuild kit will cost about 50 bucks i could be wrong but thats what it costed me when i did it

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
So the filter has been replaced then? Id go get some fresh gas and try it again. It might take three or four filters till you get the crap out of the tank.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Schraeder valve is what you use to inflate your tires, too, in case you aren't familiar with the term.

Awww hell...then what's the little valve on the fuel rail called? I've always called it a Schraeder valve. It appears to operate the same way, and looks the same too...well at least on the FI engines I've tinkered with. Hell, I even use my knife the same way to allow the gas out as I would air out of a tire. Please enlighten.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Awww hell...then what's the little valve on the fuel rail called? I've always called it a Schraeder valve. It appears to operate the same way, and looks the same too...well at least on the FI engines I've tinkered with. Hell, I even use my knife the same way to allow the gas out as I would air out of a tire. Please enlighten.

You're correct...I was trying to clarify in case she wasn't familiar with the term "Schraeder valve".

(Other than car guys and bicycling enthusiasts, I suspect most people think of that as a "tire valve" not a "Schraeder"...)

I would like to thank everyone for so many responses. This is a great site! Even for someone like me who is clueless how to do the work myself, you've all given me important information so I can now make some choices. I think I"ll definetly keep Betsy, at least for now, since I have some things to try.
Even if she sits over the winter in my driveway, I have room for that.
I like to have information, so I can try the easiest things first, (refill it with good gas, and watch the filter, to see if the gunk comes out) Then, get an estimate to see about taking out the tank (maybe even do the front one) and maybe the pump
This is just what I needed, all this info, you guys are great!
I'll let you all know what happens!
farmlady

How about we diagnose the problem in a structured way without all the extra unnecessary info.

1) Solve the status of the Gasoline.

2) solve the status of the fuel filter.

3) when the engine quits running ,check the status of fuel in the fuel rail by pressing the valve core to see if fuel comes shooting out

HI again, I"d like to comment again,

1) Solve the status of the gas- how? I can either run the engine till the tank is empty (which I"m doing,) and I"ve treated it with dry gas to addres the water issue. (cheapest initial effort) and after running it, add more quality gas to it, to see if I've gotten rid of the water, right? Well, I haven't gotten to that point yet, it's only been a day, and It's still running out in my driveway
2)Solve the status of the fuel filter- I said somewhere on here, that the fuel filter was changed, my mechanic said it was disgustinly gross and dirty, couple days ago looked at the new one, and it's fine, so that's done
3)I don't know what a valve core is, want to tell me? Can I do that myself?
My mechanic has more or less written my old truck off, and I have to either do this myself or find someone else.
So, I guess I'm somewhere between 1 and 3
as for unecessary info, I don't know what you mean, again, I don't know what you all know, and I"m trying to explain the best I can.
You mentioned that you lost interest, so I get that
thanks again for your time, I really do appreciate your information.
farmlady

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
The "valve core" or "schreider valve" as ben referred to it as if you trace the fuel line from the frame to motor at some point it switches from rubber line to metal line after that point youll find the "valve" everybody is talking about, so when the trucks quits running on ya you wanna push the valve in with something ( i.e. a knife) and see if you have fuel pressure

Thank you Crzybil- I'll look for it tomorow! I guess anything is easy, once you know how, and I would like to learn about my truck,
will try that,

Farmlady

Quote : "My mechanic has more or less written my old truck off, and I have to either do this myself or find someone else.
So, I guess I'm somewhere between 1 and 3
as for unecessary info, I don't know what you mean, again, I don't know what you all know, and I"m trying to explain the best I can.
You mentioned that you lost interest, so I get that
thanks again for your time, I really do appreciate your information"

This is unnecessary. we already know what your mechanic thinks.

Have you put a can of fuel stabilizer or gas line anti-freeze in the tank ?
Ths stuff removes any potential for water

Run the engine at different RPM's listening for radical behaviour from the engine.,. write it down under what circumstances

Thank you Mil1ion for that information. That photo is worth more than all explanations, now I know where to find it.
About four days ago, I bought STP fuel stabalizer, they guy at Walmart told me to put both (small) bottles in the gas tank, it's still running the same.
Meaning, after ten minutes, stalls out, will start again, to repeat same.
New mechanic I'm planning to take it to (funny, the shop is downhill from here, so if it's going to stall out, I can coast there! (I live out in the country)
You mentioned if it sounds different, and yes it does, right before it stalls.
It sounds, for lack of a better explanation, it sounds like it's trying extra hard to stay running, then quits. I've been running it in my driveway, to listen.
This new mechanic says it might be the fuel pump that quits after it's warmed up, Does that make sense to you?
I need to wait a couple weeks to have the cash, to take it there. So if it gets work, I can cover it .
That photo was very helpfull, thank you
Farmlady

Hi Texas, never heard of sea foam - does it do the same thing as the gas stabilizer?
I have to say, I am very happy with the idea that I can most likely fix my old truck, I will put "her" photo on here, then I have more questions,,,
about rust, and what I can fix myself .
thanks,
fl

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
This new mechanic says it might be the fuel pump that quits after it's warmed up, Does that make sense to you?

The fuel pump could be overheating so yes it makes sense.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Honestly sounds like the fuel pump is working too hard and overheating, that would explain why youd be able to start it after about 10 minutes

Okay next time it stalls.. turn the key off and push in the valve core on the schraeder valve to see if fuel spurts out .

If it doesn't turn the key to start for one second....then shut key to off.. go puch the valve core again looking for fuel.

If there isn't any fuel present (spurting out) , then the fuel system is only working intermittently.

another check when it stalls is to touch the fuel pump with your hand feeling its temp

I can't remember if that is an in tank pump or frame mounted pump.
I'll read back to see if someone else mentioned its location

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
did you try changing the coil??

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Okay next time it stalls.. turn the key off and push in the valve core on the schraeder valve to see if fuel spurts out .

If it doesn't turn the key to start for one second....then shut key to off.. go puch the valve core again looking for fuel.

If there isn't any fuel present (spurting out) , then the fuel system is only working intermittently.

another check when it stalls is to touch the fuel pump with your hand feeling its temp

I can't remember if that is an in tank pump or frame mounted pump.
I'll read back to see if someone else mentioned its location

Depending on how many tanks she has it would be 1 to 2 low pressure in take pumps and 1 High pressure pump on the frame. The high pressure pump is on the frame is on the drivers side right before the fuel filter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts