Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can my voltage regulator cause hesitation

I've got this thing going on with my '78 F150 straight six, that feels like my carb not getting enough fuel or getting fuel intermittently, but it's very subtle. Someone told me it could be my voltage regulator. Anyone think so.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My experience with bad voltage regulators did not produce those symptons, but it did eat a couple of alternators. I was also getting quite a bit of fluctuation on the gauge readings - such as the gas gauge and temp gauge rising and falling for no apparent reason.

The charging system and Ignition system are separate entities.

I would suggest you check the ground of the Ignition module to see of it is clean and secure

Then check the Ignition coil values after noticing the color of the spark.

Hesitation though it usually issue of fuel deleivery.

ie: Adjustment of accelerator rod and a leaking throttle shaft bushing.

wondering about the ignition module

Maybe this is where I need to look, the ignition module. You said the ground . . . is there a wire to the body or is the entire thing grounded on the body. If this was not properly grounded or if the unit was not 100% could this cause that subtle hesitation I'm feeling?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Maybe this is where I need to look, the ignition module. You said the ground . . . is there a wire to the body or is the entire thing grounded on the body. If this was not properly grounded or if the unit was not 100% could this cause that subtle hesitation I'm feeling?

Surely someone will jump in a correct me if I'm wrong....but, no.

Usually a failing ignition module does not cause hesitation...it just causes the truck to die and not restart until it cools down. Eventually it will not restart at all...even after cool down. Many of us carry a spare one of these behind the seat. I know I do.

It sounds like a fuel issue to me. Check all filters for clogs. Maybe the carb is gummed up?

Surely someone will jump in a correct me if I'm wrong....but, no.

Usually a failing ignition module does not cause hesitation...it just causes the truck to die and not restart until it cools down. Eventually it will not restart at all...even after cool down. Many of us carry a spare one of these behind the seat. I know I do.

It sounds like a fuel issue to me. Check all filters for clogs. Maybe the carb is gummed up?

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid definitely sounds like fuel delivery. I had all sorts of stumbling going on and fixed it by adjusting the carb idle mixture and timing. For best results I used a timing gun and vacuum gauge.

Hesitation

Thanks for the feedback guys. And this is the second time in a month I've heard someone say they keep a spare ignition module behind the seat. I've changed the fule line filter at the carb many times. I don't know of any other fuel line filter on my truck. If I wanted to try and clean up my carb could I pull it and take it apart and fuss with it and (knowing I've never done this before) hope to be able to put it back together.
Thing is this truck runs like a ringing bell, I mean it purrs. Everyone says so, just sounds great, starts, every and I mean every time, no matter what the weather, but for the longest time there is that hesitation. I've replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor . . . wires look good, plugs good enough. I run high test (don't laugh) and the best response I've gotten for my money so far has been pouring carb cleaner in the gas tank.

what colour is the spark coming out of the coil to the dizzy ?

a worn out dizzy will cause these issues as well

Please describe the hesitation in specific terms?

Testing the coil and specifics about the hesitation:

A question for you.
I know, roughly, the idea of testing spark, but I've never done it.
Do I pull back the boot on the wire from the coil and hold it to where it would set in the distributor terminal ? Or against the block ? Or somewhere else ?
Do I hold it with insulated pliers, or gloves or will it not bite me if I'm careful ?
As far as the hesitation . . .
Not in gear it sounds good.
If it is cold this hesitation is pronounced.
Warmed up and going down the road there will be a slight and sporadic flutter in power.
I actually thought it was my front end for awhile, as if the tire had a vibration in it.
I do use high test gasoline and once, some years ago put in regular and this condition was very pronounced. I think I mentioned this but at that time I changed the coil (two years ago now) cap, rotor, checked the plugs and wires, but the plugs are at least seven or eight years old, maybe older as are the wires. The most effective thing I did was add carb cleaner and still do now and then.

what colour is the spark coming out of the coil to the dizzy ?

a worn out dizzy will cause these issues as well

Please describe the hesitation in specific terms?

Anything other than BLUE is a bad spark color

You can just lay the coil wire across the the center post on the coil. do it in the evening when it is dark and with someone helping you.

You have to remember NEW psrts do not automatically mean they are in great shape

For hesitation issues you have to remember there are several things that can cause this

How about the Vacuum advance? is it seized or is the diaphragm torn ?

Are all spark plug wires really in great shape ?
You can tell a lot about the condition of ignition oif you run the vehicle engine at night and even more of you have a spray bottle of water.

Is the accelerator rod on the carb set in the correct hole ?

You putting higher octane is only WASTING money..stop doing that.

There is normally a long list of things to check and verify in T-Shooting a hesitation.
Electrical power values can be determined by the condition of GROUND and corrosion of power terminals.

Ford Truck Articles