Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can anyone help?

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I didn't put this in the tech section, because well, it's not a truck.

I have a weird issue with my car and need some ideas on where to start as I don't just have money to throw away chasing the problem.

It's an '87 LTD/Crow Vic and the issue is keeping it running when it does start.

It will start up and shut off instantly. It's obviously starting but won't stay running. We changed the fuel filter and it ran OK for two days. Now it's back to not staying running unless the car sits for a few hours. If it sits, it'll run, but the minute you turn it off it has to sit for a couple of hours again. When it's doing this it runs rough and chokes. When the car is actually 'running' and not shutting off, it runs fine.

I am at my wits end with this and figure it's something simple, but what can it be? :headbang:

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It is a minor thing.
There is a recall from ford on this part it should be warranty work IIRC.

rockauto has the cheapy for 27 and the midgrade 64

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Very common problem, and exactly what I was thinking. Basically, it is the ignition control module, thin film ignition (TFI) I think it what it stands for. Generally is that annoying gray bar on the distributor, three bolts hold it on, inevitably, you have to spin the distributor a little to get to the bolts to remove it, messing up your timing if you don't pre-mark it. No normal socket seems to fit in, as the holes are just small enough to not let most sockets in, so you have to get the ignition module wrench to get it off.. luckily, it is relatively cheap, and readily available. Modules can run in the 50+ neighborhood... looks like AZ has it for 35... Looks like this

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
It is a minor thing.
There is a recall from ford on this part it should be warranty work IIRC.

rockauto has the cheapy for 27 and the midgrade 64
Thank You! I am searching for info on it now and I see where they had the recall. I just got the car in August so don't know if the previous owner(s) took it in. What I can't find is how to test it. Reading along though, it sounds like a GOOD possibility this is my issue.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
Very common problem, and exactly what I was thinking. Basically, it is the ignition control module, thin film ignition (TFI) I think it what it stands for. Generally is that annoying gray bar on the distributor, three bolts hold it on, inevitably, you have to spin the distributor a little to get to the bolts to remove it, messing up your timing if you don't pre-mark it. No normal socket seems to fit in, as the holes are just small enough to not let most sockets in, so you have to get the ignition module wrench to get it off.. luckily, it is relatively cheap, and readily available. Modules can run in the 50+ neighborhood... looks like AZ has it for 35... Looks like this
I seem to remember seeing that box, but I think it's black and not gray. Could be wrong though. I will surely check into this. $50 is doable!!!! I was thinking it had some sort of MAJOR issue.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
They can be tested BUT the problem is some only break down when hot and the tester will still show it good when really it is bad because the test does not heat it up enough to break down the bad area in the TFI.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
So, I am better of buying it and just changing it. That I don't mind, but if it's not actually it, I stand to get stranded for a THIRD time. I just spent $108 towing it home two days ago. I got stranded yet again today. I was able to get it home after sitting, but don't want to push it... OR

I can drive it to Auto Zone if they test them and take it off as soon as I get there because it will be hot?

Choices. lol

I need to laugh or I will cry.

Fellro

Staff member
If you have it tested, make them cycle it quite a few times, it might start to show up...

Never knew about the lawsuit (Losing control? what kind of driver loses control just because the engine died?) but I definitely knew the modules were junk... seems to be the achilles heal of many Fords, the DS II wasn't a lot better...

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
The car has not died while moving, thankfully, but it sure sounds like my problem could be this considering the car only has the issue when it's hot. I am just going to buy one of these as it won't hurt either way. I will then have someone follow me around to see if it fixes the issue. Thanks BUNCHES!! :)

Fellro

Staff member
They won't likely take it off, and the tester is mounted inside a drawer, so not likely they can test it that way... and taking it off can take some time sometimes, depending how easy the bolts are or aren't to get to... Seems like most of the ones I have changed had to turn the distributor base to get to one of the bolts.
I have known many to carry spares with them if that tells you anything...

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I will buy one now and if it works I will buy another. I am just damn lucky it hasn't died while moving. It just won't stay running at a restart when hot, and sure makes sense, because the car started up fine when cooled down!!

I will toss the spare and the tool in the glove box. I am not afraid to get dirty. ;)

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
It's in. Not quite sure when I will have someone around to bail me out IF it's not the problem. As soon as someone is I will put it to the test. I spent just a bit over $43 for the part and the tool. Thanks again guys! :)

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Hope that was it. By what you described that would be my first pick as to what is wrong.
Did you add the thermal grease behind it when you put the new one on?

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I think you're right. The more I read about it the more it sure seems to be the issue. I was telling a friend of mine about it and he said it sounds like it to. He's had a few GM's that had the GM version of it. He told me to be sure to put the grease on it too. It came with a pouch of it and I made sure I put every bit on there. :) It was a pain getting to the two bolts, but was easy to get the old one off and the new one on!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts