Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

c6 trans no third gear??

so never had any problems with my trans until today. I always just put the trans in D and go down the road. so today driving and i notice im stuck in 1st gear??

so i manually shift into second and it shifts to second, but shift back to drive and it down shifts into 1st again?? so if i manually shift 1st 2nd then to D it down shifts into 1st?

so i pretty much have no third gear and when in D it wont shift at all. Full of fluid no leaks, never had any problems before? what do i do? haha

well call me crazy but sometimes puttin a can of brake fluid in there does miracles. It has for me before and others that i know. my car would get stuck in 2nd gear, did that and never had another problem.

Evan

Fellro

Staff member
Also be sure the kickdown rod didn't fall off.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The easy fixes are always the sweetest victories. Very little to no money out of your pocket and you're back on the road in no time.

Fellro

Staff member
Not on this case of course, but if the kickdown were to fall such that it was telling the trans you were stomping down all the time, it will make it shift late and hard. If it just falls off and doesn't do that, then no, it won't cause any trouble.

Wish I could say the same about my C6. I still can't figure out why I lost all my gears (even reverse). I keep thinking it's something simple like linkage... anyone have a pic of a C6 (for 4x4 application) linkage setup? I bet something popped off while I was driving and now she won't go into gear... There's no metal in the fluid, no burnt smell, no grinding noises...

Fellro

Staff member
Try taking one of the cooler lines loose and see if it is pump fluid. Might be pump or the one way clutch on the stator in the converter.

Try taking one of the cooler lines loose and see if it is pump fluid. Might be pump or the one way clutch on the stator in the converter.

If the tranny fluid wasn't running through the cooler wouldn't a burn or hot smell be present? How do I check the stator?

Fellro

Staff member
If the pump broke, there would be no fluid flow, burning of the fluid comes from either slippage of the clutches/bands, or pressure int he converter due to heavy towing or loading. The bands would only affect second gear. First is the forward clutch pack and the low clutch pack, reverse is the direct clutch pack and low clutch pack. The stator is inside the converter, so the only way to check it is to have it out of the vehicle. If you have flow, it indicates the pump is still working, so it could then be a failed converter There are other possibilities, but many are unknown until disassembly. Only other thing you can do is get a pressure test on the different circuits of the trans to determine if the pressure is being applied and if it is enough pressure. If pressure is applied, but no motion, and in spec, either the converter or the input shaft are suspect.

If the pump broke, there would be no fluid flow, burning of the fluid comes from either slippage of the clutches/bands, or pressure int he converter due to heavy towing or loading. The bands would only affect second gear. First is the forward clutch pack and the low clutch pack, reverse is the direct clutch pack and low clutch pack. The stator is inside the converter, so the only way to check it is to have it out of the vehicle. If you have flow, it indicates the pump is still working, so it could then be a failed converter There are other possibilities, but many are unknown until disassembly. Only other thing you can do is get a pressure test on the different circuits of the trans to determine if the pressure is being applied and if it is enough pressure. If pressure is applied, but no motion, and in spec, either the converter or the input shaft are suspect.

Ah thanks for the info. I was hoping to diagnose w/o having to pull the sucker, but will probably have to pull it. I have a guy here over the weekend who may just buy it outright lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts