Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 servicing

So I bought a ’78 F250 Ranger XLT, auto C6 with a 400ci. The motor was bad, so I am rebuilding it now. I thought I would service the trans while I wait for the motor gets back from the machine shop. I pulled the pan and it didn’t look to bad to me, the oil did not look or smell bad, a small amount of graphite looking material was at the bottom of the pan, no large chunks of metal.

My question is, what is normal at the bottom of the pan and/or what would should I be looking for as far as metal Ect…?

blacksnapon

Staff member
So I bought a ’78 F250 Ranger XLT, auto C6 with a 400ci. The motor was bad, so I am rebuilding it now. I thought I would service the trans while I wait for the motor gets back from the machine shop. I pulled the pan and it didn’t look to bad to me, the oil did not look or smell bad, a small amount of graphite looking material was at the bottom of the pan, no large chunks of metal.

My question is, what is normal at the bottom of the pan and/or what would should I be looking for as far as metal Ect…?
There can be a little bit of material in there. You don't want large chunks of friction material or metal of course.

Thanks, I will change the filter and oil and see how it runs. i bought another C6 to rebuild. So I think I will be ok.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
When I look at my pans in the sun, I typically see a light metallic in the fluid, that I don't see in low(er) light.

Fellro

Staff member
While you are there, change out the front seal, you will regret it if you don't they have a tendency to leak after being disturbed it seems, and you are already there anyway.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
There is a front pump seal, front pump O-ring, front pump gasket. These parts are the same 1966/97 and if replacing one, replace the other two.

The extension housing seal and bushing should also be replaced. The bushing tends to develop burrs, which eat into the seal, causing it to leak.

There is a front pump seal, front pump O-ring, front pump gasket. These parts are the same 1966/97 and if replacing one, replace the other two.

The extension housing seal and bushing should also be replaced. The bushing tends to develop burrs, which eat into the seal, causing it to leak.

i know about the front seal pump and the front pump O-ring. I am not sure were the extension housing seal and bushing are?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The extension housing bolts to the rear of trans case, the trannies output shaft is inside it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts