Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 removal

C6mount.jpg

Here's one pic of the passenger side transmission crossmember. Not sure if they're all like this, but 4 bolts just for the bottom of it... ugh. What I'd give for an air compressor and my old impact wrenches lol

That cross member looks the same as mine, but your springs are arched the wrong way.

If your going into the transmission to repair it, you'll have to separate the transfer case any ways.

That cross member looks the same as mine, but your springs are arched the wrong way.

If your going into the transmission to repair it, you'll have to separate the transfer case any ways.

yeah but easier to deal with the spillage of fluid when it's on the ground and more manageable

There shouldn't be much fluid between case and trans, it's sealed on both units. If you are removing the trans. from under the truck, it may be easier to unbolt t-case. If just pulling back to replace torque converter or flex plate, brace it secure to jack and leave it bolted up, Randy.

So I should just unbolt the cross member and the t-case from tranny then slide it back a couple inches?

Fellro

Staff member
Some don't have drain plugs, but if it does, it will be through the flexplate to access it. You won't get a couple inches on the t case to the trans, about an inch and it will come down. Is yours iron or aluminum? If aluminum you can do it by hand, cast I would recommend using a jack, pretty heavy.

Some don't have drain plugs, but if it does, it will be through the flexplate to access it. You won't get a couple inches on the t case to the trans, about an inch and it will come down. Is yours iron or aluminum? If aluminum you can do it by hand, cast I would recommend using a jack, pretty heavy.

Cast iron :/

If it doesn't have a drain plug, am I gonna see a ton of fluid loss when I pull the tranny down?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
By the way, having a hard time finding the drain plug on the torque converter...

It should just be a square looking plug. Have someone rotate the crank over and you should find it pretty quick.

It should just be a square looking plug. Have someone rotate the crank over and you should find it pretty quick.

I'm flying this plane solo...I turned the crank over a little at a time to get to the bolts and still no plug sighting

Fellro

Staff member
You can keep the converter on the trans until you get out a ways, otherwise you will make a bit of a mess. That is where splitting the t-case off will be a benefit, as you can keep it more level. If you do take it out beforehand, pull it off quickly and lay it on the bolt side to minimize loss.Seems to me the drain plug would be near one of the studs if it had one. The ones I have seen actually had a 3/8 or so hex head. I have seen some that do not have drain plugs though.

You can keep the converter on the trans until you get out a ways, otherwise you will make a bit of a mess. That is where splitting the t-case off will be a benefit, as you can keep it more level. If you do take it out beforehand, pull it off quickly and lay it on the bolt side to minimize loss.Seems to me the drain plug would be near one of the studs if it had one. The ones I have seen actually had a 3/8 or so hex head. I have seen some that do not have drain plugs though.

Yeah from my readings, and I've done quite a bit, they say the plug should be an inch or two away from one of the studs. Hope it has one. Don't wanna have an accident and spill 5 qts of fluid all over the ground where I'm working.

Fellro

Staff member
It won't loose everything, might be as mnuch as a quart if you were to leave the converter on the motor when you pulled the trans. Doing it as we have said, you won't loose any at the truck. Be a ware the converter can sometimes fall off on it's own if you tip the trans such that the converter is down hill. You can take wire or such across the front of the bell to hold it in, use a pop bottle or something to get the inward distance to keep it seated while working with it. It does add a bit of weight to the trans when you go to lift it.

It won't loose everything, might be as mnuch as a quart if you were to leave the converter on the motor when you pulled the trans. Doing it as we have said, you won't loose any at the truck. Be a ware the converter can sometimes fall off on it's own if you tip the trans such that the converter is down hill. You can take wire or such across the front of the bell to hold it in, use a pop bottle or something to get the inward distance to keep it seated while working with it. It does add a bit of weight to the trans when you go to lift it.

Luckily I'm in a pretty flat location and since my truck has a bit of a rake to it, the angle isn't in favor of having the converter fall out but yeah I'll keep an eye on it when I pull the sucker down

Fellro

Staff member
I was more referring to once it is down, when you take it off the jack and such, but with the lift, you may be able to roll out from under the truck with it, but at the same time, it is going to be harder to get the jack up to the trans.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts