Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C ya POS TC

Michigan
Well ever since i bought the truck the OD light, started flashing on my way home with it. Had a mechanic scan it and its a torque converter slip code....

The light will come on and it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. Well when the light has been coming on ive been erasing the stored memory out of the PCM so it shifts normal. I can erase the memory and the light wont come on for 5 or 50 miles, i guess it just depends.

So i have my eyes on a triple disk billet converter. I wont be home for the next three weeks due to work so hopefully i can get it on order and have it there waiting for me when i get back.

Trans already has a bully dog shift kit....... Makes me nervous because the duesh bag i bought the truck off of lied about A TON of things. He told me the torque converter is brand new and so is the front trans seal. YEA OK. So im thinking of buying a complete valve body or another shift kit and buying a stock valve body and installing the kit myself so i know its done rite..

BUT..

Skan- Whats the trans pan you have on yours again? For what i remember it wasnt to much money. Also whats the best kind of trans fluid to use..

I know im putting a band aid on it right now but i just want it to last me so i can save for a heavy hauler trans from North American Diesel Performance.

Also 35 inch tires and 4.10 gear ratio. What RPM range should i be in at 55 and at 70? Hope you guys can help..

I wish i could be on here more but my schedule has been really messed up. Tuesday and Wensday ive been at truck pulls, work during the day, tonight was a demo derby and we got back earlier. Next week i leave for columbus ohio for a mopar show, thats wens, thurs, fri, sat and sun, back to work monday and tuesday, then a mopar show in canada on wens, thurs, fri, sat, sun, monday thru wens back to work, and a snowmobile show in michigan thurs, fri, sat and sun

I got my 6 inch stacks, just gotta get the T pipe for it and those can go in. Got a big K&N Air filter on there and the turbo is crazy loud. Running really good other than the trans.

Almost forgot, Seams my T case is leaking at the two seams. Not where it bolts the trans but the big part. Id have to take the yoke off to split the cases. But thats just another thing added to my "to do list" Also front diff gasket leaks, but im goin with a chrome diff cover and filling it up with some good fluid.

Everything that previous owner seams to be falling apart. Im catchin up on it tho.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Wild guess on RPM's, but I'd put you right around 2500 for 70 mph.

Ryan

Michigan
O almost forgot.. I had a non slider rear window that had no tint. That parts truck i bought off my cousin had a rear slider with 5 percent tint. So a couple of friends and i swapped them out and last weekend i got my side windows tinted 20 percent. I really like the way it looks. Also my front grille was cracked, got a new grille, adjusted my head lights, took the push bar off, polished it and took the big light guards off and re installed it.

This weekend im putting in battery boxes that my dad got me from work. They came off the ford bus chassis. I got them for free and i can get brand new 850 CCA motorcraft batteries for 25 bucks a peice.

This pic was takin last weekend when i got the tint done.

100_6147.jpg

Michigan
Ya ryan i count 3 gears then overdrive. At 55 im doing around 1700 to 1800 and at 70 im doing around 2300 rpms. My speedo is 5 mph off says the GPS

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

Skan- Whats the trans pan you have on yours again? For what i remember it wasnt to much money. Also whats the best kind of trans fluid to use..
Derale 14108:
http://www.derale.com/pans.html

I bought mine in SummitRacing for around $80 I believe.

Mike said:
Also 35 inch tires and 4.10 gear ratio. What RPM range should i be in at 55 and at 70? Hope you guys can help..
With my 33s and 4.10s I run just a HAIR above 2k at 65mph. With your bigger tires it should be slightly less than that.

Mike said:
Got a big K&N Air filter on there and the turbo is crazy loud. Running really good other than the trans.
Bad move. Oiled filters are generally bad news. My brother's got a Tymar intake and loves it. He's VERY well versed with the 7.3L so I imagine he did a ton of research and is probably using the most popular filter.

Mike said:
Almost forgot, Seams my T case is leaking at the two seams. Not where it bolts the trans but the big part. Id have to take the yoke off to split the cases.
Not a hard fix. Just make sure you clean off all the old RTV REAL well and then apply a new bead.

Last edited:
Michigan
Yea i hear alot of bad things on K&N. I cant justify paying 59 bucks for a throw away. My dad has ran his K filter for a long time. We clean it every oil change and re oil the filter. Ive had the filter off countless times checking for dust or debris. Nothing yet at all. I have to clean my filter for the first time this weekend and il check everything real well. Im happy with it, but thats just me lol

Michigan
Il have to check out the tymar filter tho to.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Mike, if you didn't boost launch it everytime you take off, you wouldnt have all these problems.. smilieneenar

Truck looks great... just needs a headache rack, tool box, and stacks... :D

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Did a little calculating, and here's what I come up with for my truck.

Got P235/70R15's. 235/25.4 = 9.25 inches (tire width)
9.25 * .70 = 6.48 inches (tire width * profile ratio = tire height)
6.48 + 7.5 = 13.98 or approx 14 inches for wheel/tire radius, or very close to 28 inches total diameter.
pi * 28 = 87.8 inches circumference
60 mph = 1 mi/min = 63330 inches/min
63330/87.8 = 721.2 tire revolutions/min at 60 MPH
I have a 3.08:1 diff ratio. , so 721.2 * 3.08 = 2221.2 driveshaft RPM at 60 MPH.

Don't know what the ratio is for 5th on an M5OD, but let's say it's .93 for a number. 2221.2 * .93 = 2065 engine RPM

For a 35" tire (that's OD, right, unless you have some REALLY big bling wheels):

The math would be 63330/3.1416 * 35 tire RPM at 60 MPH (576 RPM)
Driveshaft RPM = 576*4.10 = 2361 RPM
You'll have to take it from there for the transmission ratio to get your engine RPM. No idea what tranny you have, but just multiply the driveshaft RPM times the transmission ratio in OD.

Now, to convert to 70 MPH, just multiply by 7, then divide by 6. I.E, your driveshaft RPM at 70 MPH would be 2361 * 7/6 = 2755 RPM. Again, you'll have to factor in the OD gear ratio of your tranny. Dunno how deep the tread is on those 35's but by the time they wear down, let's say you lose .70" tread depth. That would be a total of 1.4" diameter loss, or 4% error in the RPM indicated or speed.

Lots of numbers, but all fairly simple math. I had to factor rim diameter because of the standard tire measurements of my tires. Your's are listed at 35", which I assume to be overall diameter of NEW tires. There will be some error in this due to distortion of a radial tire affecting radius, or distance of the center of the hub to the ground, but it's fairly negligible.

Calculating at 60 MPH is easy because that's the same as 1 mile/minute. That makes it so much easier to calculate driveshaft RPM. Then, you could take that and calculate engine RPM for whatever gear you're in. Of course, if you put it in 1st at 60 MPH, you'll some pretty radical RPM for a very short time. ;-)

In short, with 4.10 diff turning 35's, your RPM will still be higher than my stock P235/70R15's on a 3.08 diff. That means you'll still have better torque put on the ground, but you're gonna run outta RPM's before I do. As I recall, my RPM's at 70 MPH is pretty close to 2500. I'd expect to see around 3000 on your setup, given the exact math on an inexact tire application.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
2200rpm range sounds about right to me..

Our truck has 4.10's in it, stock tires (dunno what size) and we turn about 2200ish at 65, I believe (been a while since it's been 65 'hah')

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Stoopid question- has the speedo been adjusted for the wheel/tire combo I see? And where does the transmission get it's info on when it should shift?

That was always a big problem out in Chebbie-land with the lifted trucks. If the speedo wasn't re-calibrated, the trannies were fubared (didn't shift properly, air/fuel mixtures running too rich, etc).

Michigan
Sorry skank i got the Cowboy up one. Dont wanna have the same decal u do on your truck. Thats just....... Weird

:)

Yea it takes 14 Quarts. Changed filter and oil when i first got it.

Bear, not sure on how they get the reading..

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You know Ford trans are notorous for suckin butt, they never know when too shift, shift too soon. I drive all my stuff with OD off. My F150 with who knows what gears, out of OD with 35's doin 50 im like 2000 i think. I dont really go much past that around where I live. I know my speedo on F150 and F350(1 with 35's and 1 with 36's) speedos are off like 5-10mph dependin on what speed im goin. Wierd. When you drop the pan down, get a reuseable pan gasket from a 05ish F250-350, Same pan design, and super nice gasket.

Michigan
Sweet thanks chris for the tip. Il have to do that.

Michigan
aaa got home from the Mopar nationals in Columbus ohio last night around 1:30 AM

The T pipe to my stacks should be done next monday. Went from my 4 inch pipe to a 5 inch T to 6 inch stacks. Stacks were straight cut and had rain caps on there but a bud of mine cut them at a 45 so they are now mitre cut. I just gotta polish them at work.

Didnt get paid yet from last week and this weekend. But il probably just see how much a stock torque converter from the local parts store will be... Im going to have to get a built trans either way and i just want this converter to tie me over untill i have the cash for a BTS.

Ford Truck Articles