Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C-6

Can anybody explain to me the proper procedures of removing the C-6 front pump from the trans?! can you do this while the trans is still in the truck any help would be great. P.S. i already have the motor out im trying to steer away from pulling the trans.:guns:

Remove the inspection over and remove all 4 nuts from the torque converter to from the flexplate
You will need a power bar and socket to turn the crank to the next nut

If you've got the engine out its only a couple more steps to take out the trans ..... hell of a lot easier to play with it on a bench as opposed to grommeting around in the enegine bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRYvGVPA7o

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
It is best to do this on a bench if possible as Mark stated above.Remove all the front pump to case bolts.If memory serves me well (Its been some time since i did one last)there is some threaded holes in the front pump stick a couple bolts in it on each side and pull or pry lightly and evenly twards you.a slide hammer works best.most of all be patient and take your time you dont want to break off the snout.

Fellro

Staff member
The best way is to have the trans stand upright, absolute best is to hang it from a trans hanging mount, which in essence is a big C-clamp. The little round knobs on the side of the case are actually there for putting this clamp on it. I made my own and made it mount on an engine stand, quite handy. The ones you buy typically are mounted to the bench.

On removing the pump, the best way is to get ahold of a slide hammer that is 3/8" diameter. Many of the lightweight dent pullers used to be that way. When all the bolts are out, you will find that the bolt holes at 3 and 9 o'clock will be threaded. You thread the slide hammer into the pump housing and they generally come right out. I don't recommend prying them out generally.

Sorry about not responding i was on vacation for the past week and the front pump only has 7 bolts and none of the holes are threaded does this mean the trans is not a c6?!

Fellro

Staff member
The threaded holes were on many transmissions. What did the trans come out of, and what motor was it attached to?

the trans that is in the truck now was bolted to a 351M and my parts trans is a small block bell housing not sure of the motor it was attached to i know its out of a truck

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
FYI the C-6 has 17 bolts holding the transmission pan on.the pan is rectangular in shape with a notch or "S" shaped in the rear of the pan.The C-4 has 11 pan bolts.the pan is rectangular.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts