Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

c-4 tranny trouble

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
ive got a big problem...my brother has a 1972 F-100 with a c-4...it is a long bed all origanal...as you drive it it will go 1st 2nd for just a second then 3rd...and if you try to put it into 2nd it will go right into 3rd even at very low rpm...have any of you ever heard of an automatic dropping just 2nd gear???and how hard is it to rebuild it?

Have you tried "manually" shifting it? Start off in first get up to about 25mph and put it into second and take that to about 45mph and then put it in 3rd. Check and make sure the linkage is all right, and no damage is done.

It could be a transmission modulator valve issue, vacuum, I am unsure if 72 is set up like that you might want to try that forum, if not someone here probably will be able to answer.

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
we have tried to manually shift it and it still wont go into 2nd...it will go into 3rd or go back down to 1st

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
my brother decided to take it to get rebuilt and it was the 2nd gear band that went out...they said theyve never seen one do that before

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts