Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Buying Ford ESP (extended service plan)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey folks, I recall a long while back that one or more of you recommended buying ESP online as opposed to through my dealer (honestly it was probably Brad that told me this).

I'm thinking I might buy ESP for the mustang, warranty is running out in a month. Is this a sound thing to do? Exactly the same as buying it from my local dealer? Same coverage and everything?

Anyone have a preference for which website to use?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
When I bought my pickup, I told the salesman "if I thought I needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't buy the truck."

Still how I feel on the subject of extended warranties, but I guess I'm confused on your question- are you looking for a discounted place to buy the Ford ESP extended warranty, or a place to buy an extended warranty for your Ford, that costs less than Ford's version?

(Not that I have anything useful to offer for either question, but...)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Depends on what you are comfortable paying if something goes horribly wrong. I was given the option to buy an extended warranty on my 05 6.0.

Cost, if I recall was $3000 for 3 years and covered everything engine/powertrain related. I thought about it and passed on it.

When my bedplate gasket started to leak about 2 years after the warranty expired, it wound up being a $5000 job....so the way I looked at it was that if I had bought the warranty I'd have been out the $3000, so the job was $2000 which in my mind was a reasonable amount of $ for a repair.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
When I bought my pickup, I told the salesman "if I thought I needed an extended warranty, I wouldn't buy the truck."

Still how I feel on the subject of extended warranties, but I guess I'm confused on your question- are you looking for a discounted place to buy the Ford ESP extended warranty, or a place to buy an extended warranty for your Ford, that costs less than Ford's version?

(Not that I have anything useful to offer for either question, but...)

My thoughts exactly!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It seems to me that some of the online sellers can get me another few years for less than a grand. That's a Ford branded ESP that covers all the same stuff as my factory warranty-- cheap insurance policy.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
For that kind of coin I would go for it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts