Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Broken Alt/Smog/Tensioner bracket bolts

This happened a few days after a new alternator installation, not sure why. Should be fun trying to get them out. 2 out of 3 are broken inside the head.

:headbang:

It also appears I have a fluid leak.

I'm tempted to just pull the motor out, since the rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, and a few other things need fixin' on the original motor now with 226k.

100_0956Large.jpg

100_0957Large.jpg

100_0958Large.jpg

100_0959Large.jpg

100_0964Large.jpg

100_0965Large.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ouch...been there done that, I hate breaking bolts off in the block. Those look fairly deep in there too. First, I'd try an EZ out, but I've only had success with those a few times. Another method I would try is welding a washer on the bolt shaft. And work your way up until you're out of the bolt hole. Then weld on a nut and see if you can't get a wrench on it. Last route would be drill it out, tap it the next size up and drop in a helicoil or get the appropriate bolts.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Try drilling them out with a Left twist drill bit. Many times the bolts will come out while drilling with these bits. Then if that doesn't work go the EZout route and be careful not to break the EZ out they are a pain to drill out.

x2 on everything so far. :)

Had super-good-luck with EZ-outs -when- the bolt/stud didn't break while
trying to remove the bolt or stud. See what I mean? If the bolt itself was
too weak to turn the sucker then an EZ-out is gonna have trouble, more. :/

That's when you have to get down and really work at it. Main thing to keep
in mind in a situation like that is it can-be-fixed! Just how hard do you want
to work at it? :)

What's your situation tho?
...did you have that bolt out lately? :)
...did you (over) tighten it lately, did the threads turn?
If so, you've got an easy one. :)

{edit}
Just took out a grade-2 1/4-20 for a neighbor this week, he over tightened it
and broke it off down inside, like the way yours looks, so it was easy as pie. :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts