Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

broke my rear axle...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I think I just shat meself......that's not a bad price for a shop( says the guy who does almost everything himself) so I think you're doin pretty good. Is that new or junkyard shafts?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I think I just shat meself......that's not a bad price for a shop( says the guy who does almost everything himself) so I think you're doin pretty good. Is that new or junkyard shafts?

brand new..

"its bout the people you know, not always what you know"

my family has been super long time customers of Transmission Masters and are now family friends with them, they recognize me as soon as i pull up..

the other day when i had my truck towed there, i walked in and they were like WTF? what did you break now... i answered my rear axle, they just cracked up laughing..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Agreed...I was thinking a $600 bill easy. But that's awesome you have a shop you trust and will give you the brother-in-law price.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
they knocked off 150 bucks... so it woulda be 500 +tax otherwise..

With TN tax, it woulda put you at 546.25...so I was off by 53.75...sheesh everyone's a critic.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
mmm full floating axles for the win.

If this happened to me, 1 my wheel would be sticking out like that.
2 i unbolt six bolts and slide axle out
3. get debris out.
4. check bearings.
5. if bearings are good, slide in new axle with new gasket, install bolts and top off fluid

All done without ever jacking up th etruck, unless you bearings are shot

For a heads up, a 8.8" axle , its load is all ridden on the axle shaft it self. hence why you cant take it off while the truck is on the ground.

Full floating, the axle housing supports load, hence why you can slid the shaft out with wheels on ground smilietease

Its a better design, big rigs use it to..

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Good price. Glad your truck is back. Try not to break anything for awhile :)

Glad you got her fixed up Chris, that was kinda scary-looking....I'm just really glad that didn't happen at speed, that coulda been a lot worse

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
haha i know dude... it was... the thing is the day before i was supposed to drive a half hour away and back to go to pull-a-part in Nashville, well thank god i forgot or else that likely would happened on the interstate..........

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So how's she holding up? Done any burnouts yet? HEHE

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah its holdin up fine... i did a burnout yesterday, seemed to do a bit better in the burnout, probably less power loss by the time it got to the wheels...

gonna take it back in tomorrow for them to pull it all back apart to check the bearings and seals... it hasnt leaked anything they are gonna recheck it anyways... they are gonna laugh, cause they were like "just drive a couple weeks, like a few hundred miles and bring it back in." well ive had it back since friday, ive already put 300 miles on it..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts