Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brakes and related parts.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm finally getting around to replacing the front rotors and have a question. I'm noticing two different available styles of rotors. One with an ABS exciter ring, one without. The price difference is over $40!

So, can I go with the rotors sans exciter ring?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Uh...does your truck have four-wheel ABS?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That's a fantastic question! Couldn't tell you though. I will say that it does have ABS, but I've been recently plagued by the always on ABS light after running over a small truck.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it were me...my first step would be figuring out whether it even has ABS up front. My '97 does not, but if it was a 4x4 it would. Mom's RWD '94 Explorer had 4WABS.

My second step would be figuring out what happens if you disable the ABS...my opinion is that that generation of Ford ABS is worse than useless, but I drove my sister's car with a shorted sensor so the ABS kicked in at every stop. Seriously unpleasant.

primetime

sawmill slave
I would be more inclined to think your truck has rear wheel abs. I think the 4wabs was more of a bronco deal. But slide under that bad boy and see if there is a wiring harness coming out of the front dust shields. If there is, 4wabs. If not, rwabs.

Have a look under the front of your truck (you change trucks so often i'm buggered if i know what you've got now Austin smilietease ) and see if it has a wiring cable going to a sensor on the hub - if it doesn't then there is no front abs ...... if you're awful careful sometimes you can press off the abs ring and fit it to the new unit - not really recommended though

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm not necessarily worried about having functioning ABS on this truck. It seems most of em are troubled by it anyway (I had the same issue with the Bronco). I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow to check.

Mark, I sometimes forget what I drive too! :rofl:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
My second step would be figuring out what happens if you disable the ABS...my opinion is that that generation of Ford ABS is worse than useless, but I drove my sister's car with a shorted sensor so the ABS kicked in at every stop. Seriously unpleasant.

I really dislike abs on the older vehicles. It didn't work well at all. It was far worse on slick Roads than plain old brakes.
I ended up disabling it on my older trucks. The newer abs systems works ok.
I'm guessing yours is rear only.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts