Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

brake questions

I'm rebuilding the rear drum brakes on my 78 F150. I've purchased new wheel cylinders and shoes and I was hoping I would be able to change them out and go, but I see that the adjusting cable, I'm calling them adjusting cables, on each side is broken. This is not the parking brake line. This is that foot long cable that hooks top and bottom. Do I really need to replace this. I'm figuring it's pretty important for self adjustment, but do I NEED it.

Also this: my new wheel cylinders did not come with new pistons and the old ones are a little pitted. But they fit outside the actual cylinder. Do they need to be, well not pitted? This is just rust pitting, not deep, but visible.

What do you guys think

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looking at the diagram in the Ford shop manual, I'd say you need those cables to maintain equal pressure on the shoes.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The cables are for the self adjuster. Like Randy said you can get away without them, but they are inexpensive and you might as well replace them while it is apart. I've never heard of a new wheel cylinder coming without the pistons. I would be yelling at the parts guy LOL. However if what you are actually refering to are pieces like in the following picture that go between the shoes and the wheel cylinder just wire wheel them a bit so they are smooth and re-use them.

0900c15280039342.gif

Randy, Sean . . . Thanks. You know I wouldn't think twice about getting another set of cables but my truck is up on jack stands and I try not to overuse my friends' generosity. And those wheel cylinders. I bought them at O'Reilly's for $6.99 each. It's a wonder they didn't expect me to reuse the old rubber caps, but I have cleaned what I am calling the pistons. The one and a half inch long pins (3/8 inch diameter) rods that stick out of each end of the wheel cylinder and actuate the brake shoes. I knew I would pay somehow for such a low price.

Thanks again you guys for such a prompt response.

Jim

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The pins dont come with the wheel cylinders. I never got any with them anyway. The cables should be readily available at parts store so I wouldn't worry about taking up space too long at your friend's house.

That part is actually called a LINK..by Ford. B7A-2042-A... or C6TZ-2042-A

Get a new hardware kit for both wheels.
Chances are the springs have weakened form heat fatigue and need replacing.
The Adjusting cable keeps both shoes in proper position..replace them as well.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just completely did the drums in the Bronco a couple months back and the wheel cylinders I got from JBG had the pistons.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts