Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Body line difference 84-88

Ow different are the body lines between 84-89? Especially dually fenders? Bought a couple trucks for my step daughter last week to build one good one but not sure on body line differences? Anyone got any good pics showing the differences?
Thanks

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Differences are minor. Beds can swap over.

Only differences are over wheel well.

87-91 dually beds
dually005.jpg

80-86
84-f350-single-cab-dually-for-sale_1.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
For a good perspective Andy, my bed and fenders were off of an 80-86 whereas my truck was a 90.

2012-03-21_19-40-03_245.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
The 80-86 have the lower body line indented, while 87-97 flare out. A dually may not look as out of place as a fleet side can.

Cancel all that! I bought a 82 f350, and came with later tray, so I bought an 92 f250 ambulance to use the cab and front off so would have used the chassis from f350 but it's too narrow, damn it, I didn realize widths were different, diff is 6 inches too short. So have to use the ambo chassis and get some adaptors for dual wheels

Fellro

Staff member
The duals will ride in tighter to the frame on any dually setup.... I think there is only like 4" difference in the axles so that the inner dual will clear the springs and frame. The duals as you may notice totally encompass the drum, while the straight wheel does not.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Hey, I figured out that the wing windows are different from '89 to '97... I have to gut my old doors and swap it all over... learn something new all the time.

Fellro

Staff member
The 87-91 have one style while 92 changed. I know your pain, I have extra 87-91 doors, and just the one 92 truck...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
this is torture!! all this talk of F350 dually's, ahhh!!!!! who wants to trade?
Mine is only an F250 SRW.... But it is diesel... Oh, it will be a dually in the future, plan to allocate the axles from a 450/550 Super Duty 4x4...
The 87-91 have one style while 92 changed. I know your pain, I have extra 87-91 doors, and just the one 92 truck...

Doesn't that suck... I never actually looked that close.

Door panels suck too, the crank snout is shorter as well...

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Doors will work vent windows n way door panels mount are different .

Frame are same from rad support mount to cab mounts I have done many swaps of front clips Guess was lucky on different width thing . Thought that was 79 down only . Need to make mounts for bumpers.

Beds bolt right up with the fender well diffs and pre 86 having squared off back tail light areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, so the new plan is use the ambulance chassis and take out the part they used to lengthen it, and since this will only be used by my step daughter and not tow anything, by some bolt on adaptors to run the dual wheels and tub. I will start a thread someone with some pictures shortly

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts