Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

body lift woes

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
okay people, what exactly do i look for in uninstalling a body lift? 1992 f150 efi 5.8w reg cab short bed push button 4x4. ? i know one thing i need to look for, the steering extension, but i have no idea where or what it looks like or even if it had one installed. i didnt put the body lift on i bought it that way.

If it's an automatic their could be an extension rod welded somewhere into the gear selector shaft that runs into the tranny. (they might even do that for a manual stick also but I have only installed a kit on an auto),,,If that's the case, you would need to either cut it out and reweld the ends together OR go find a stock replacement and install that. You might need to find stock length body bolts if the currently installed kit bolts aren't threaded long enough to run the nut up the shaft. As for the steering shaft I can't recall but I thought there was enough slack in it that it would just slide,,(I may be wrong, it's been soo long) It would be easy to spot if an extension was installed.

primetime

sawmill slave
Ditto on the steering shaft sliding, also on shorter bolts, trans has a cable not a rod, so that should be fine.

Fuel tank filler tubes may have been extended, check fan shroud and rad to see if they`ve been modded.

If the bumpers were raised, they`ll have to drop back down. Also look at brake lines between master cylinder and frame. They`re probably just stretched but you never know.

When you`re ready to take out the lift, loosen all the bolts, but don`t remove them. Get a jack and some blocks of wood, remove the bolts on one side, jack up, pull the blocks, and SLOWLY lower the body while keeping a close eye on everything. Reinstall the bolts (loosely), and proceed to the other side.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
^^^^ thats the bombshell right there. i totally forgot about the fan shroud.... i dont think my truck had the steering extension so i should be okay maybe ill do it before the snow comes

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts