Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bleeding Brakes...Best way?

Hey guys....it's been a long time since I've been on the forums....three years maybe? Life kind of just stopped me from working on my truck :-( well anyhow I have gotten rid of my other car and I am back to driving the truck and what do you know brakes are gone. I replaced all the calipers, drums, pads rotors and what not so that's all good. Going to replace the Master Cylinder and Brake Booster tomorrow.....

I know i'll need to Bench bleed the MC before putting it on...whats the best way to do that? I am used to doing it in a vice with plugs in the holes on the side and pushing the diaphram until it's firm and no bubbles are coming up (it's been about five years since I have done it)

Then bleeding the brakes on the truck when it's all installed.....I know start from farthest and work my way to closest. I know the two man way of one down below with a jar of brake fluid, tube and another depressing the brake pedal until there are no more air bubbles. But I have been reading about a couple different methods....

Speed Bleeders....Are they worth it? And if so do you pump the brakes or do the same press pedal and hold method?

Vacuum Bleeders....Not to sure how these work but everyone says they're a good one man option

Reverse Bleeding....Seems logical....is there any downside to it or precautions?

Thanks guys

Use the vice and the 2 tubes included into a container of brake fluid and watch for: no more bubbles

Having the tubes right in the fluid makes sure that air doesn't get sucked back in.

Why are you replacing the booster ? It shouldn't need replacing.

I would have tested it first, before removing any parts

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Speed bleeders are the way to go for a do it yourself with out help,but are pricey if you dont do alot of brake work,they will presurize the system,all you have to do is crack the bleeders & remove the air.i like them myself.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts