Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bilstein's - which ones?

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
94 F150, 5.8. Truck is not additionally lifted, meaning stock. Has the 4 wheel drive option. Used for occasional driving and hauling dogs to lake. Will be used for bringing in wood and trips to Lowes.

Do I need the Bilstein 4600 or 5100's

If I spend the money, I'd rather get what I "might" need instead of what I now need.

Do the 5100's only apply to lifted trucks with heavy hauling...would they be overkill??

BTW...thanks guys!

Fellro

Staff member
For pure stock applications, I think Bilsteins are overkill, but that's me. With the truck suspensions, shocks don't make as noticeable a difference as they do an cars. If you do heavier towing, then the shocks are noticeable, as the trailer will let you know it is there in additional movement of the truck chassis, where good shocks at that point make it more tolerable. That usually is my indicator I need shocks, with a trailer it does the bouncy-bounce.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
the bouncy-bounce...I was pressing on the door window seal, where it's on inside of window rolling up/down.

Noticed the cab rocking...so I'm thinking I'm due.

If you think the Bilsteins are overkill for my application...what else should I be looking at???

btw..thank you =)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'd vote for the NAPA Sensatrac,(made by Monroe?) which is a midgrade general purpose shock. Had these on my '78 about 5 years.

For general purpose driving, they seem to be adequate. If you're not rockcrawling or offroading, the Bilsteins seem to be overkill.

Fellro

Staff member
I'd vote for the NAPA Sensatrac,(made by Monroe?) which is a midgrade general purpose shock. Had these on my '78 about 5 years.

For general purpose driving, they seem to be adequate. If you're not rockcrawling or offroading, the Bilsteins seem to be overkill.

Yep, Sensatrac is a trade name of Monroe.

the bouncy-bounce...I was pressing on the door window seal...
Noticed the cab rocking...so I'm thinking I'm due.
A front anti-sway bar would kick that side to side rocking business's butt! ;)

Got one planned for my '75 F150 after getting used to the one on my '91
Bronco/U150.

---------------------------

Put new dual Rancho 5000's on the front of the '91 U150 and then noticed
the single shocks in the rear needed help so added a pair to them. :)

Got four case hardened coupling nuts from McMaster/Carr...
A pair of M12x1.75 (top) and a pair of 1/2"-13 (bottom).
A guy could use four M12x1.75 if he wanted too.

The trick is to carefully cut the bolts to length so they don't quite bump into
each other inside the coupling nuts.

----------------------------

Had dual shocks on my '75 F150 since summer of '75, took 'em off in the mid
00's when I noticed the frame was cracked again. :/ A single set of Rancho
5000's seem to be working ok on it and my gas-welding job is holding good! ;)

We always gas-welded the air-cooled VW dune buggy frames after finding
out stick welding didn't cut it.

Alvin in AZ

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Very very satisfied with the Bilstein 5100s that I put on my 95. Made the ride quality much better and feels more stable. Like Ryan said, I'll never buy another brand again.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Ryan and Chris

So, If I go with the Bilstein's...you are thinking the 5100's even tho the truck isn't raised?

Trying to get all angles of info here.

Monroe's, why do you two not care for these??

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Evangeline, it's like comparing two sports cars. Both are great but depends if you want a Corvette or a Porche. Like a few of the others replied, it is probably an overkill for a stock daily driver, but we could go on all day, back and forth, so let's say it comes down to how much your willing to spend. If that's not an issue, then go with the Bilsteins. :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I ran Monroe gas shocks with my past trucks good ride. This time around I will be looking at something different like the Bilstein for better handling.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Monroe is a good shock, but Bilstein is the best.

I used the 4600 series on my 1994. I'm not an expert but I think the difference is adjustability, not ride quality.

Ryan

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Monroe is not as good as Bilstein, but they are easily half the price. I put Monroe Gas Magnums all around on my '98 suburban for actually less than half what B's go for.

I have the Rancho "9-Speed" adjustables on my '87, but it is alot heavier than your truck and I tow alot, and as has been said, towing is where a good shock is really noticed.

You won't catch me spending $100/ea for shocks no matter how good the ride is. It's a truck, not a lincoln...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
For the record the 5100s are not adjustable.

And the 5100 might be overkill-- but I don't have experience with the 4600s.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I'm thinking the 4600's and I looked on OReilly's site but there are several to choose from. Price ranged from $62 to $135. Will have to talk to the mechanic on which ones I need.
One factor, it asked if the truck is 4 wheel. yes, but not full time???

Chris, I agree the 5100's are overkill, can you imagine the questions I'd be asking if I needed to adjust shocks....LOL!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm thinking the 4600's and I looked on OReilly's site but there are several to choose from. Price ranged from $62 to $135. Will have to talk to the mechanic on which ones I need.
One factor, it asked if the truck is 4 wheel. yes, but not full time???
Your truck is not full time 4wd. You should either have a 4x4 shifter on the floor or buttons on the dash for engaging/disengaging it.

Chris, I agree the 5100's are overkill, can you imagine the questions I'd be asking if I needed to adjust shocks....LOL!
Again-- the 5100s are not adjustable-- just in case there is confusion on that.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ah...had that backwards.

I know mine is not 4 wheel full time, I do have the button. So the questions OReilly's are asking if it's 4 wheel....they mean FULL TIME and not just "the ability"?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not sure they should be asking that question... You might want to try another part store if you have one locally. There's no such thing as a full time 4wd F150 gen 9 F150.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts