Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bilstein HD or 5100?

Hello, I have a 2007 F250 superduty supercab 8ft bed 5.4L 4wd with the fx package. I want to replace the shocks with Bilstein's which I have read are the best. I tow a 14ft trailer sometimes and rarely drive offroad.
Question is which are better? I see there is a small price difference between them. Also are there any Sticky threads on the replacement procedure here? Thank you ForumsmilieFordlogo

I got some 5100's for my 2006 lifted at 6". Good ride for a lifetime warranty shock. Pretty simple swap with hand tools. Be ready to collapse a shock, kind of a tough to fit in the mounts when extended.

Thanks HeavyAssault, Trying to figure out the best to get for my setup. I have the FX offroad package as well as the towing and plowing package setup stock from Ford. Is this a lift at all where I would need the 5100's instead of the HD's? (left rear driver side)

IMAG5677.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(Driver side front) Does this have any type of leveling kit? I mean the truck looks pretty darn level...
IMAG5679.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The 5100's are more for standard use, and I imagine the HD will take a little more of a beating. If you do manage to blow out a 5100, it does have a lifetime warranty.

Ryan

The 5100's are more for standard use, and I imagine the HD will take a little more of a beating. If you do manage to blow out a 5100, it does have a lifetime warranty.

Ryan

Actually I believe that the 5100s are more of a performance shock vs the HD which is a standard shock.

FordF-SuperDuty that's what I read. I believe the hd's have a lifetime warr. and the 5100's are 90 day...5100's are more expensive and for 2 or more inch lift./leveling kit... Trying to find out with the pics I posted just what I have so I can go from there. I also don't like the yellow and light blue. Rather have the stainless with the black rubber.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Dave your correct... the 5100's are made for lifted trucks.. if your still sitting stock the HD's will do you just fine... risk of running shocks for lifted trucks means you can run the risk of bottoming out the shock alot quicker while sitting at stock height since the pistons shafts are longer on the 5100's.. when put on to a stock suspension height truck those pistons shafts would be compressed further than they would be on the lifted.. which will limit the travel for every bump youll hit.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
weird thing though in their brochure right at the top of that page states "4WD Pickups (Lifted Suspension)".. its weird i suppose...

Just for the record...The Bilstein HD's are the roughest ride I have ever felt....they are so stiff that it almost feels like I dont have shocks at all...the Rancho shocks I got with the new truck were completely shot yet felt better than the new Bilstein HD's. Of course this is my opinion but I am waiting to get some money saved to buy a different shocks....super disappointed as I thought I had done my homework before purchasing these.....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mine actually smoothed out after putting the HD's on.. weird yours got rougher..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

missed that when you asked about the blocks there... thats the factory setup there.. its not lifted. the one with the duck bill on it is to touch the bump stops.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
what kinda tires did you have on yours?? i noticed when i went to mich's it smoothed out even more... the terramax's that were on it before were rougher ride.. felt like they had no give to them...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts