Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bigger axles...

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Ok so i want to hear yalls opinions on bigger axles, i have 1 tons now but i dont know do you guys think itd be a good idea to go bigger.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So you have a 60/10.5 combo now, and what do you think you'd go bigger to? Rockwells? What kinda wheeling are you going to do? What's your tire size max? If you're just gonna be in the mud and street, I'd bling out what you have.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
well i want to go to 44's as far as wheelin i stick to mud. I have a chance to get a set of 2.5 ton rockwells, but i dont know if itd be that streetable at that point i drive it everyday now and want to keep it that way. If i do stay with these axles the biggest tires ill go is 42's , that being said do you think i should just keep these ones and just make em bulletproof

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If it were me and I drove it everyday I would keep what you have. But I'm not all up on 4wd and huge tires so my opinion may not mean much. Truck looks good as is in pic, but being able to drive over a Volkswagon in traffic could be fun too :D

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Hey i listen everybodys opinion here. As long as you own a ford, it is kinda fun to think you can drive over som little car when they cut you off in traffic

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i have the zf 5 spd it came out of a one ton just has the smaller bell housing on it for the 351. And for power ill be around 450

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I would suggest a 5.38 or a 5.71 ratio then...

I would lean more towards the 5.71 even with the zf, thats alot of dead weight to get turning and keep turning.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
ya i was tink i need much lower gears than wat i have now, with the 39's the 4.10's are too high as of now, so definately lwer gears are in store

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
yea its brutal its way too uder geared its especially horrible when im on the hiway, i was thinking 5.33's or even lower than that, whats your guys thoughts

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
5.72's...

If it were my build, thats the way i would go with it...

Also, i HIGHLY suggest a larger diameter clutch. Go as big as you physically can.

With built axles, and the zf 5 your weak link will be in the clutch.

Remember if you build something to withstand the abuse, your just moving the weak link somewhere else.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I say use what you have. I woulda suggested 5.38's so it's still somewhat street friendly...or as much as it can be. Sink a few grand into each axle and call yourself good...as long as you're not planning on throwing a 700hp beast in there.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
5.38's would be ok, but you have to think ben how much does a 44" bogger weigh?

Bill, you could get away with a 5.38 with your zf, but i would still want a 5.72....
If you do go boggers figure atleast 500 rpm's lost while playin in the mud.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I think ill stay with what i have now and just duild em up. since im goin this route the biggest tire ill shoot for would be 42's , so you think 5.38's would do it i dont travel the highway only to shows and stuff just mostly town driving. i mean theyd definately help with the 39's right now right?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like a good idea and you will probably save some money as well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For me, I'd have to figure what rpm exactly I'd be turning to determine what gear I'd go with. I'd imagine though, at 65, it would probably be a matter of only 500rpm or so. I'll figure it up tomorrow if you'd like.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Hmm. Yea if you would be able to figure out what gear would work best. That's be awesome, I'm not a speed racer due to the fact big ol swampers don't like to go fast. So I'm not lookin for highway gears. Just somethin more. Suited for 40-42" tires. And bout 450 horse

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts