Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Changes to my F150

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
It's been awhile since I've updated anything on my F150 here at FTF, so here we go. This is just a small taste, I'm sure there is much more than what I have here.

This pic is from the summer if I recall correctly.

picture172x.jpg

If you notice, there are now front manual lockouts sticking out from the center caps, and you can barely make out the front section of a 1995 TTB D44. Also note the new protection group front bumper.

picture469f.jpg

picture468e.jpg

The next few pics show the 300 I6. Unfortunately as the pics show, a previous owner used tap water for coolant, which rusted out most of the coolant passages. I've never been a huge fan of the 300 I6, so rather than have it dipped to remove the corrosion, I have parted it out and will be replacing it with a 1978-1982 Ford 400 V8. Further inspection of the 300 upon tear down revealed about 8 bent pushrods, 7 loose rocker arms, and rod bearings down to copper!

picture423i.jpg

picture359t.jpg

picture405z.jpg

picture354d.jpg

picture397d.jpg

And last but not least, a 400 I found in the local junkyard. I almost bought it, but unfortunately it was a late 76 to early 77 block, which were prone to cracking in the lifter valley area if the block was cast at the MCC plant. So I passed it up.

picture352zr.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That bumper makes a huge difference to the look! YelloThumbUp

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks guys! It's greatly appreciated!

Duncan, after putting on that protection group bumper, I realized how much I hated the standard chrome bumper. I really love the impact guards and luckily for me this bumper is in very good condition.

Nice, wish I had paint worth saving on mine like that! Did you buy that front grill Ford emblem new? Mine is in need of replacement and looks like the before picture. Can you still buy them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's a helluva good looking transformation...and I must say, I like the engine choice. Being down in Florida, you should have no problems finding a mudder that's swapping a 460 into their dentside and gonna toss the 400, and you should be able to pick it up cheap.

nice........

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks everybody! The compliments are greatly appreciated!

Nice, wish I had paint worth saving on mine like that! Did you buy that front grill Ford emblem new? Mine is in need of replacement and looks like the before picture. Can you still buy them.

Thanks! Pictures can be deceiving however, my roof and hood have lost their shine, and the tops of my front fenders have bled out so now you can see the tan undercoat. Other than that, the rest of the paint is definitely in great condition. I likely won't repaint it for quite some time, if ever.

As for the emblem, I just keep grabbing them from the junkyard when I see a better one. I have about 10 different grille emblems for this truck alone. Each one is either in better shape or in worst shape than the other. The one you see on the truck in the second picture is actually my second best emblem. I won't put my best emblem on the truck until I start to drive it.

That's a helluva good looking transformation...and I must say, I like the engine choice. Being down in Florida, you should have no problems finding a mudder that's swapping a 460 into their dentside and gonna toss the 400, and you should be able to pick it up cheap.

Thanks Ben!

I like the engine choice too. :)

Actually, I've only come across about four 400's. One in the picture above, two in other junkyards that were picked apart, and one that a guy completely rebuilt. I passed on the rebuilt one because I want to be in command of what gets done to my 400, I hate not knowing exactly what I'm working with on my trucks.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Cool progress report and pictures. :)
What are you planning to do about the transmission mismatch?

Alvin in AZ

Thanks Alvin! :)

As for the transmission, the SB bolt housing C6 has already been sold to a guy who wanted an automatic in his 87. I will be sourcing a C6 from a 460 or 351M/400 truck. Hopefully if I'm lucky I can get a 351M/400 and a C6 in a package deal.

Very nice truck Brottha add the overhead cab lights and ya stylin.. since you do not already have the cab lights...you can buy some nice teardrop lights @harbor freight for about 10 bucks complete with wiring and switch.. in case ya were intrested..my truck is same as yours except its a crew cab dually.. I also spent a year hunting an original mack bulldog as the hood emblem... Hats off too you brother she LQQk GREAT

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Very nice truck Brottha add the overhead cab lights and ya stylin.. since you do not already have the cab lights...you can buy some nice teardrop lights @harbor freight for about 10 bucks complete with wiring and switch.. in case ya were intrested..my truck is same as yours except its a crew cab dually.. I also spent a year hunting an original mack bulldog as the hood emblem... Hats off too you brother she LQQk GREAT

if im not mistaken he doesnt want to drill into the cab.

Understandable, However.just so you know there is a hollow area there between the roof and inner headliner..I know this because i bought those lights from harbor freight..But my existing lights were factory installed and large enought too look down thru.. refer too picture from amkatt1when he had his removed...just a small hole would do it and a fish tape.. there fore i had too go with factory lightingbecause of larger factory holes

Hope it works for ya

Dawg

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Understandable, However.just so you know there is a hollow area there between the roof and inner headliner..I know this because i bought those lights from harbor freight..But my existing lights were factory installed and large enought too look down thru.. refer too picture from amkatt1when he had his removed...just a small hole would do it and a fish tape.. there fore i had too go with factory lightingbecause of larger factory holes

Hope it works for ya

Dawg

yeah but ya still drill the outer cab shell. lots of times the wiring harness is already there ready for lights. just gotta plug em up and go.

lots of fords are prewired for options but just dont have em.

the plug in for power to the cab lights is on the drivers side kick panel. you still need the factory light harness or similar to fish through for the cab lights. a must do upgrade !! believe me, it's really easy. drilling the holes is no problem with an electric drill and a hole saw. one hour tops and your truck has a new stance, hell ya. :guns:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks for the compliments!

I have previously considered swapping on clearance lights, but I'm still undecided on it. I'd have to photoshop them before I decided, and I refuse to install anything but factory lenses onto my truck, which makes it harder since factory lenses in the junkyards are usually deteriorated and new ones are too pricey for what I want to spend.

Very nice truck the work you have done on reflects the pride you have for it..Love the new bumper too.. Ford made the rear matching bumper as well. I found on in a junk yard for 35 bucks donor was a 89 F250 xlt lariat.. adding a pic hope it makes it thru

PICT0003.jpg

As always

Dawg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts