Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Better Starter

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
My first starter From Napa, the gear went bad and they replaced it for free, but now with my second starter, it has a very slow crank and barely turns over the engine at times. Battery is good so I figured the starter is going bad again. I'll have to look to see if I have a premium or standard starter from Napa, but is there a more heavier duty starter out there? I did put a little bit more load on the starter during the winter months trying to start my truck, but not that much to make a starter go bad all of the sudden. I figured I'd better get it replaced before I get stuck somewhere.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Bronco Graveyard offers what they call a high-torque starter for $75, which I believe is a gear reduction starter. I went through three starters from NAPA, which tested ok on their machine. I finally went with a starter from MeanGreen. It was pricey, but you can "clock" the starter to just about any position, either away from the block, or away from the header. It is a gear reduction starter. I have had no "heat soak" problems since installing the starter, which was about two years ago. There are some other manufacturers that sell gear reduction starters that aren't as pricey, probably because they don't adjust as much as a meangreen starter.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know Dak is pleased with his starter, and I wanna say it's a mean green. I believe that's the route I'm going next.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yeah but. :)

What are you guys trying to turn over?

Butthead in AZ

For me, it's just a stock 400 motor with headers. The Mean Green was developed for racing applications and can handle a rougher environment.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Interesting on the mean greens. I just may have to look into those. I don't know what it is with reman starters. They just don't hold up very well and my headers are not even close to the starter so heat isn't a problem. I think they are just cheap starters.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think they are just cheap starters.

I think that's more the issue. I know my Bronco eats starters (2 in 2 years) and waterpumps (3 in 2 years) and Red eats alternators (one every 18 months). Common thread, those parts are cheap remans from the local parts store.

Interesting on the mean greens. I just may have to look into those. I don't know what it is with reman starters. They just don't hold up very well and my headers are not even close to the starter so heat isn't a problem. I think they are just cheap starters.

Buck I would think that 521 of yours has quite a bit of compression and would do much better with the gear reduction starter versus a standard reman starter.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I think that's more the issue. I know my Bronco eats starters (2 in 2 years) and waterpumps (3 in 2 years) and Red eats alternators (one every 18 months). Common thread, those parts are cheap remans from the local parts store.

Really!!! Wow, that just don't seem right. Have you tried replacing parts with NEW vs Reman? I'm just curious, because usually I go the reman way since I'm not putting 1000s of miles on the truck. But, I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes into play with Reman parts.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey guys,

My starter is a gear reduction one, but not a Mean Green. It's a Beck Arnley.

Their products are also carried by Advance Auto, but those are all rebuilt ones. Mine was new, with no core charge. That's why it was so expensive in the first place, though I got a good deal at Amazon.com and also had a gift certificate.

Here is a link to their company.
http://www.beckarnley.com/aboutbeckarnley.html

So far I'm happy with it, no problems. Although the other day I did seem to have a little heat soak again, but only for a second after driving for 80 miles or so on a hot day with the AC on. I'm going to put an additional heat shield on it just to be sure. Summer isn't here yet and I don't want any problem cranking Burt when I'm pulling the travel trailer!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I'm slowly converting over, I used to do all reman parts, but I would blast through everything, thank God for lifetime warranties. My dad used to say it was my driving style or deeper problems...couldn't find any (or very few) deeper problems. So now as something goes, I just go new. I should have about 6 months left on the alt in Red, a year or so left on the Bronco's starter...and the last reman part I'll ever get (cross my fingers) is the WP I just put on the Bronco...just didn't have the funds for a FlowKooler unit. That being said between the 2 vehicles, whatever reman part has been replaced by a new unit has performed flawlessly.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Powermaster also makes pmg gear reduction starters with varying applications for varying compression ratios, but I don't have any experience with them. Most of them are not rotateable, but also cost about $100 less than the mean green.

I had the same problem and all you need is a $10 fix. Your exhaust is getting your starter hot. Buy a starter heat wrap and use 2 big hose clamps to keep it in place and your problem will be solved. I think I bought mine from Jegs or Summitt

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Buck,

My two cents is that you need a heavier starter for all that motor.

I had an old Bronco with a built 302 that used to eat starters. Once it snapped a bendix off and it wedged in the flywheel. Fun!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks guys. As far as the exhaust getting the starter hot, I have plenty of clearance and after driving around yesterday for quite some time, I felt the starter and it wasn't hot at all. Not that it means anything though. And my motor does have a higher compression. I have lifetime warranty on the Napa one and I may just pay the difference for now and get one of their premium heavier duty ones first and if that goes, than I'll go with one that you guys have given me links too.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
Here's my 2 cents. I think the high compression is killing your starter. Buy a gear reduction starter and I bet your problem will go away. I would also recomend some heat wrap. Im not saying your headers are heating your starter up, I just think that of your gonna spend a little more for a good starter you should get some protection for it.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Here's my 2 cents. I think the high compression is killing your starter. Buy a gear reduction starter and I bet your problem will go away. I would also recomend some heat wrap. Im not saying your headers are heating your starter up, I just think that of your gonna spend a little more for a good starter you should get some protection for it.

whatever you buy, the heat wrap is cheap insurance b/c heat will really make one wear out quick.

Yeah, I think I will do that. Thanks guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts