Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

better fuel mileage out of a 01 5.4

i have a 2001 4x4 f150 with a 5.4 does anyone know any tricks for better fuel mileage or the best upgrades for fuel economy for that truck ive only had it for about 3 months and know verry little about the truck. any pros and cons about the truck would be nice also thanks

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll post more later....

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok I'll tell you what. I averaged about 9-10 with mine before the mods, and even worse after I think! LOL didn't have it on the road long enough before I blew a rod.

That being said...

Just a few things:

1. NEVER change the plugs when the motor is even REMOTLY warm. park it over night to be on the safe side. Heads are bad for plug threads stripping out and if you wait till they are cold you shouldn't have a problem.

2. Depending on the trans you have the 4R70W's have a weak sun gear which causes you to lose R first then drive gears, be careful about loads on the trans in reverse.i.e. backing up a hill in 4x4 too hard...(learned the hard way.)

3. Front Hub assemblies are going to go out. Accept it and move on. LOL they are 130 each but can be replaced pretty easily. (if You decide to go to larger tires, stock tires should hold out, but the strain of larger tires eat up the drivers side pretty quick. I go through one about every year.)

4. The O/D button wires have been known to short out, causing you to lose O/D. It can be replaced pretty easily by going to Ford and ordering a new shifter for $70 from ford. New ones have a heat shrink tubing on them to reduce shorts...

5. 5.4 is a strong lower end motor. great low end torque. I have been real happy with mine (except for right now with a blown rod, MY FAULT! LOL)

6. A stock lower end DOES NOT LIKE 10 lbs OF BOOST! ESPECIALLY AT ALMOST 150K on the clock. LOL

For your fuel economy I have a spare TB spacer that I would be willing to give you to try and see if you notice a difference. You pay shipping and I'll send it out. I liked the sound so I really didn't care if it helped. Didn't notice anything but also put it on with the new rebuild two years ago.

A set of PaceSetter headers would be the best $200 you will ever spend and as far as gaskets I use SCE copper clads and stage 8 locking header bolts. Oh just remember when you have the passenger side off to go ahead and grind down the upper control arm mount on the frame closest to the back. They don't quite clear and need some movement room around there.

An SCT or Diablo tuner would be my next suggestion, you can find them on craigslist and such for pretty cheap.

That is all I can think of now like I said, I love mine but it has also been fitted with a stage 4 supercharger and hopefully after the new lower end build I will start in a week we should be able to see some numbers around the 600hp mark. I am going to try and get 12-14lbs of boost with it...

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
My dad drives a 97 f150 2x4 4.6 4r70w extended cab (third door)

we cut the cat on our 4.6 (same engine family) and it gets around 22 mpg. and it has 300k on it ish.

as far as the OD button goes. when i was learning how to drive, i snapped the od thing off the end of the shifter the first time i put it into drive. and its just taped on.

As far as the tranny goes. My dad has the 4r70w and weve never replaced it. we cracked the pan and broke 3 bolts off. And we drove it until it started going through a gal of atf a day. Then we took it to the shop. everything was fixed. Still the same tranny. That was at like 150k and its got shutter from 2nd to 3rd with 300k.
We cracked the tranny by going out to EARBOB out on grand lake, going to a good fishing spot, drove up a hump slammed the front tires down in mudholes. and there was a razor back rock in the center, slammed the pan and tranny on it.

ours has the orignal tranny and engine. I just recently changed out the ATF and put a new belt tensioner on it. (idler siezed on highway, took belt with it. and tensioner with it) had to pull the radiator to get to it. (make it easier)

We put a fan clutch on it, and alternator. and a new front end (all bushings, tie rods)

But mind you i live on a 60 acre farm, and my dad drives this thing 120 miles (roundtrip) a day to jenks.

I myself have 4r70w in my 96 (gen 9) and im on my 3rd, and my truck has 170k on the clock. I abused the piss out of it. First one went at 115k. Pulled one from the junkyard for 250.00 bucks (over on pine, behind hwy 412) and it ran until it had 135k on it. **** out on the highway in laramie (where i was going to college) and this one got rebuilt, and they didnt do a good job, the company went out of business, so when this one goes (the shops fault) i have no body to go after.

Good luck,
They are great trucks.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts