Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Best way to go about adding AC to a non-AC truck?

Summers heat is beating down now and it's very hard to go places in my truck now because of it. I know nostalgic air sells the kit that utilized factory vent locations and will allow me to keep my factory heater box. But are there any other options(cheaper)? I found a donor truck I'm looking into that has AC but I'd much rather put the money into an AC system alone and not have another vehicle in the yard.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Chances are if you find a donor truck with factory ac, you will probably need a new compressor and dryer anyway so it might make more sense to get a kit. I have heard that the kits from nostaglia air are pretty nice and easy to install. Factory air, you have to cut the firewall and ad the huge ac/heater box which would be a pain. Another option would be to ad an under dash unit from vintage air.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Subscribed...I wanna add a/c to Red, a non-a/c truck and get the Broncos a/c functioning again. I can find all the necessary parts no problem, but how to be sure if they're still functioning, and how to go about recharging the system???

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Subscribed...I wanna add a/c to Red, a non-a/c truck and get the Broncos a/c functioning again. I can find all the necessary parts no problem, but how to be sure if they're still functioning, and how to go about recharging the system???

You'd just have to take it to a mechanic that has the A/C system machine to vac it down and recharge the system. You'd have to find some R12 (not cheap) or fit it with R134a which you may already have with the Bronco. I wouldn't mess around with any used compressor. I had a used one on my 77 and it went to hell in 2 weeks and the old one on my 75 didn't work. I know I'm gonna stick a Sanden compressor on my 75 when I get to it.

I would't be to keen on trying to cut out the firewall for the factory a/c box, but if you make a template from a donor truck than that would work.

Okay so next question really. I may build my own system. I know you can pick up generic AC only dash mount boxes pretty cheap. But if I did that, where could I get a hold of some factory vents? I know I could buy the instrument surround with the vent in it, but I can't seem to find the other vents anywhere. That's why I'm drawn to the Nostalgic Air kit, but it's just so expensive.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Only thing with factory vents is that then you'd need the factory (or try to make your own) ducts to attach to the vents. The factory vents being square/retangle is tough to do. The center duct that is usually all deteriorated is sort of hard to find. Aftermarket systems use round hose.

Only thing with factory vents is that then you'd need the factory (or try to make your own) ducts to attach to the vents. The factory vents being square/retangle is tough to do. The center duct that is usually all deteriorated is sort of hard to find. Aftermarket systems use round hose.

My father-in-law is an A&P aircraft mechanic. We can get ahold of any ducting imaginable. We've even made round ducting square before. But where can I find just the vents for sale?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The vents can be bought at Jeff's Broncograveyard.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-143-dash-parts.html

That's cool that you could make your own ducting. I know I'd like to have a new center duct because the ones I have now are OK, but have some tape over some holes.

Here is a center vent on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-79-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item461063d3ba&vxp=mtr

I can check to see if I have an extra right side or even center vent if you want. I just don't know the condition of them, but I will check and see.

If you don't mind not having factory look, you could also get on ebay and find some other type of vent. Being as you have a NonAC dash now, you can cut whatever holes you need for the vents.

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Not to hijack but...

My 77 has factory air....i converted it to 134 and had it charged. Blows a lil cold but not great...compressor kicks on but i notice theres no water drip....input?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
AFA the water drip, your drip spout may be plugged. Take a piece of wire and poke it up there. Mine did that and eventually dripped on my floor and never knew it until carpet was wet on the passenger side.

R134a doesn't seem as cool as R12 in our systems.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
How much pressure should be in the system? The sticker is gone....

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Its been awhile since I actually hooked up some gauges, but i think the low side is 25 to 35 and the high side is 250 to 350 depending on air temperature. Don't hold me to that though.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana

If you can tear apart an old refrigerator, freezer, or window ac and take the compressor out, they make a great vacuum pump for evacuating your system. Once you pull a vacuum on it recharging is easy.

I'm a cheap sob, but I have to agree that its best to replace your ac compressor. Even if its mechanically sound, the seals usually leak.

Ford Truck Articles