Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Been a while...

So with school and work being really hectic I haven't had a chance to post much on here, but here I am...AAAAAAAAND Blue has a major problem!

Yesterday, I turned a corner and was going up a slight grade when all of a sudden my truck's RPM's spiked and I lost momentum. Felt like it slipped out of drive and went into neutral but no jerking action...just a slight sound as if something disengaged. I thought the linkage had come off or something so I crawled under and looked but everything looked fine. I manually tried shifting it into gear, but it still didn't go into gear.

Any ideas?? I gotta go back and tow her back to the house :(

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Well im assuming that you would have noticed a dropped driveshaft :p

that being said, how about some info on the truck, specifically what tranny?

No dropped driveshaft. Although, that's happened to me before lol

460 motor, C6 auto. A while back the little c-clamp that held the linkage to the shifter came off and I had to improvise with some wire, but it's worked fine ever since. I'm hoping it's just something with linkage...possibly vacuum modulator?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
check your fluid. make sure its at a good level. cause the C6 in the old 88 we had was doing something similar cause it was low on fluid.

and does it blow smoke? if so it may be your Modulator valve going bad and letting fluid get by and into the engine cause of the vacuum.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
my first bet would be check the transfer case linkage, not the tranny actuators. WHen i threw the front driveshaft through the transfer case in the dodge it knocked the linkage into neutral and i diddnt notice until the tcase was patched, back in and the linkage reconnected (only in the wrong throw because the case was in N but the stick was in 2H)
A loose T case linkage can "pop" into neutral sometimes

well I went back and checked all the linkages and can't see anything out of place. The hose to the vacuum modulator was kinda swollen at the ends so I clipped both ends to get good rubber then put it back on. No fluid came out of the modulator so I'm assuming a good one there. Fluid is at a good level and is clean with no grit or metal shavings visible on the stick.

I am thinking a band busted or something else internal :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm not real good with trannies, but sounds like an internal problem to me. While it is still money out of your pocket, the C6 is one of the cheapest trannies to rebuild. A stock rebuild can be had for under $600 and a nice tranny with some bells and whistles can be built for under $1000. Or find a good replacement for under $250.

yeah I'm gonna have it towed over here and then drop the tranny :( Oh well, I'll change the rear main seal while it's out lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts