Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery Cables

My son has a 1996 F150 4.6 CI. He needs a set of battery cables because his broke. He went to one parts store but they sold him cables that would not fit. He was gong to have it towed to a repair shop but I say that we should be able to get a pair of cables and put them on ourselves. I called a local Ford dealer parts department that is open late. I ask for the part and was told Ford does not carry/make them any more. He stated that Ford discontinued them so he can't get them. I looked earlier on the forum and saw many suggestions and one being go to Ford and get them so they are the correct one for the engine. Well if Ford isn't carrying them now what? Any ideas? My son is working two jobs to support his family so I try to help him when he asks so any help I can get will help me help him. Thanks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You might want to try a local parts store and take the remnants of the cable(s) you have with you, they should be able to match something up.

F150

easy
Advanced auto has a good selection of cables. Take the old ones with you to match them up. You can also buy just the connectors to the battery if thats all you need.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if you order one the truck is gotta actually be a 97 F150.. just so you get the right cable..

and you should be able to find a "1 size fits most" cable.. they have many different lengths..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's a good idea Roy, but you need the proper compression crimpers to put the ring terminals on which most people don't have as they aren't a cheap tool.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
As stated above....We have them at Advanced in various lenghts...if we dont have the lenght you need we will get them in for you....

What you could do is go to your electrical supply company and buy heavy gauge welding cable and ring terminals. I upgraded all my batt, alt, ground, and starter cables when I upgraded to a 3G charging system on my 76'. I used Taylor connectors for the battery posts. This is a cheaper, higher quality solution. Welding cable won't crack like the other stuff.

Not show quality, but they work well.

03FA84FD-3961-460D-9422-0EB9106957F6-1019-0000010E8710D823.jpg

Last edited:
batteryclamp.jpg

If you cringed when you saw that picture pop up, then we're thinking alike. LOL :)

That's the number one reason people need a jump is the little connection at the
back of that clamp. I'm the guy that makes a point to ask what's going on every
time I see a hood up. That's what I've found more times than any other single
thing wrong.

{edit: if you got time...} Get real cables like F150 and Buzz said. :)

Don't get Ford cables they suck, they are just big enough to work and no more.

Cool. :)

Dirky's post popped up just now and he knows what he's talking about but he
needs to show how to solder the cable into the solder-type battery clamps. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:
^^^ I agree, those are brutal Alvin! Can you even buy the soldered OEM clamps?

I used these:

tay-21412_w_ml.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good idea Roy, but you need the proper compression crimpers to put the ring terminals on which most people don't have as they aren't a cheap tool.

Yep 'cause crimping them up in the vice doesn't work - been there and tried that when i was younger and sillier.

No real luck on the solder type battery clamps. :/

You know?

If a guy will keep 'is clamps oiled they'll last the life of the vehicle.
I swapped mine for bigger ones when I got my '75 360FE overhauled
but the original cables were like new! No kidding. But it's a Ford;) so
they were skimpy little 8 to 10 gauge for-sure-not- 6! I still got 'em. :)

Add a few drops of motor oil on top of the terminals every oil change
and wipe the battery top off at the same time, that's it.

We had NO-OX-ID grease at work for battery terminals and track
connections. I thinned it out with motor oil one winter for battery
work. As I used it up kept adding motor oil until finally went to using
straight motor oil. No kidding now, the straight motor oil worked best!

Works better than sprays, purpose made NO-OX-ID grease, Vaseline,
silly-cone grease etc.

Nobody's going to tell you that, that can turn a dime on the purpose
made products. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts