Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Batteries?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
If you're willing to pay $140 for a regular battery, throw in an extra $40-50 and get a dry cell...[/QUOTE]

I appologize in advance for jacking your thread Tyler.....

Charles, could you tell me more about the advantages of the dry cell battery? My truck is going to be needing batteries very soon as well as the boat....

That's totally alright.. I was wondering the same thing. :)

Mount em anywhere you want, upside down, on its side, etc doesn't matter they won't leak. Temp resistant, vibration resistant, maintenance free, longer lifetime... what else? lol The Optima Redtops are pretty common on the trails.

Sounds nice, but this truck is a street truck, ok.. mall crawler is better term for it. Heck, we got mulch (in bags) yesterday, and my parents put a blanket down in the bed of it! :headbang:

Don't really need the ability to mount upside down lol

Thank ya'll for the replies, I figured that was about the right price range, but wasnt sure...

We will *probably* go with what came in it (seems like it was motorcraft? can't remember right now..)

That's totally alright.. I was wondering the same thing. :)

Sounds nice, but this truck is a street truck, ok.. mall crawler is better term for it. Heck, we got mulch (in bags) yesterday, and my parents put a blanket down in the bed of it! :headbang:

Don't really need the ability to mount upside down lol

Thank ya'll for the replies, I figured that was about the right price range, but wasnt sure...

We will *probably* go with what came in it (seems like it was motorcraft? can't remember right now..)

Motorcraft is FoMoCo in house parts brand. Thats definitely what it came with.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
The factory Motorcraft's in my truck have 750 cca each. The Napa batteries I priced were 850 cca. Just an FYI...

Autozone has 875 CCA :suspicious:

$99 a piece..

Copied from site:

Gold-Duralast / Battery

Part Number: 65-DLG Weight: 44.5 lbs Warranty: 8 YR Notes: 2 required *** 875 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps) *** . -> 3 year free replacement <-.
BCI Group: 65 Cold Cranking Amperage at 0°F: 850 Jumpstart Protection: Yes Cranking Amps: 1000 Reserve Capacity: 150

Price: $99.99
core:
$12.00
Total:
$111.99

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Autozone has 875 CCA :suspicious:

$99 a piece..

I'm generally not a fan of A-Z parts...but the battery in my Ranger is a Duralast that's got to be seven years old now, and still started right up at 20* below zero this winter.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'm generally not a fan of A-Z parts...but the battery in my Ranger is a Duralast that's got to be seven years old now, and still started right up at 20* below zero this winter.

Sounds like that is our best bet then... dad is wanting to get the cheaper Napa ones, but for less than $20 or so, get better warranty, etc.

Seems like everything needs work right now..

making a thread in a minute about my day, cause I feel like sharing :headbang: smilietease

Fellro

Staff member
The Golds are the best of the AZ lineup. All our batteries are made by the same company that makes Interstates, but obviously different specs. I have taken those batteries off the shelf and jump started customer vehicles with them...
I guarantee even Interstate has battery failures, had a few that did, and have tested many that did. They don't seem to build them like they used to... I see more of them fail now that I remember from the past.

The one benefit that you would see out of the Optimas for your use is the extended time between operating the truck. They hold up to that better than wet cells do. They do well for someone that has the monster sound systems for that reason as well. They also fail, warranteed a number of them over the time I have worked for AZ...

Thank you goose, i knew it was 750-850, in that range...

and by the way, i havea die hard in my truck, theyve never given me an issue.. 900 cca battry for 79.99? i think last one lasted 8 years before it finally died

Go with whatever Johnson Control made battery offers the best warranty and buy it from a place that is readily available in case you have to use that warranty. A couple of favorites is Wally Worlds Maxx Start, and Autozones Duralast Gold.

Fellro

Staff member
I've had decent luck with the Wally World gold batteries, but have seen plenty fail, but that does seem to be the way of things any more..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I read this earlier and was wondering why you recommended a dry cell. But a sealed gel cell is a good battery.

Personally I would stay away from Gel batteries as they are very sensitive to overcharge and they can get gas pockets within them that results in the electrolyte not in contact with the plates.

OK, are there some distinct advantages to the sealed battery? I really am interested...

The best batteries period are AGM starved electrolyte...as TexRho said any position mounting, very durable, high capacity for the size and will function very well in a deep cycle application as well as a starting application. With starved electrolyte construction, the battery will not leak should the case become compromised. Here is an excellent site with battery info....yes, they do cost a lot more but the benefits far outweigh the costs in the long term.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Duncan....

Anytime!...I thought posting a link would easier....we have used those batteries in many different applications and they are fantastic.

Ford Truck Articles