Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball Joints - Difficulty?

Pretty sure I need to do the driver's side ball joint on my truck. ONLY 70k miles though...talk about crappy. Is the hardest part getting the old one out?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Pretty sure I need to do the driver's side ball joint on my truck. ONLY 70k miles though...talk about crappy. Is the hardest part getting the old one out?

I had never done it before so the hardest part was understanding what was going on. The unit that connects the upper control arm and lower arm was pretty hard to remove and required a BFH. The ball joint press made the removal of the actual ball joint fairly simple.

What is the huge unit that connects the control arms called? Like a hub mount or something?

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
I had never done it before so the hardest part was understanding what was going on. The unit that connects the upper control arm and lower arm was pretty hard to remove and required a BFH. The ball joint press made the removal of the actual ball joint fairly simple.

What is the huge unit that connects the control arms called? Like a hub mount or something?

Ryan
A knuckle!

Just out of curiosity, anyone know off hand what the uppers cost (including the new a-arm. I know it's one piece). Since I installed my levelling kit I've been hearing horror stories about ball joints not lasting, so knowing how I abuse things I'm gonna be due before long...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
They were quoting me 2 prices on each upper arm (as if they were different? Not sure, they may be.)

One was 3 digits ($115?) and the other was around $55

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts