Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle for F100

What does HE mean by better ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If I recall, there were varying degrees of 9'' axle...spline count, type of case (material).

Last edited:

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
78F250...did not know you were looking for an axle...I have one that came out of a 78 f150....along w/ the bed trim that I removed for a guy from NJ..:)

Post the axle ID tag info and I'll tell you how great it is

They also had bearing differences.
axle splines were either 28 or 31
I prefer 31 because the end of the axle is not tapered.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
78F250 said:
I picked up an axle for my F100. My son said it was one of the better [confused] 9 inch axles.
Uh huh, how can he tell by looking at it? And...I noticed something that no one has made a comment about. See Note below.

Post the axle ID tag info and I'll tell you how great it is.
The tag is located at circa 5/6 o'clock under one a the bolts that retains the carrier (pumpkin) to the housing...and there is a tag there.

They also had bearing differences.
Some 1974/79's had an axle bearing/seal combination (D4AZ-1225-A Brg & Seal; D4AZ-1177-A Seal only). The other 1957/86 9's have the seal separate from the bearing.

Separate axle bearing: There are TWO different sizes. And, beginning mid-year 1969, Ford began installing "slim-line" differential bearings.

axle splines were either 28 or 31
F100: 1957/67 are 28. Only 1968/72's with a 9 3/8" ring gear have 31 splines. Other 1968/72's have 28.

1973/79 F100 & 1975/79 F150 could have either 28 nor 31 splines as it depended on the application. 1980/86 are all 31.
Bronco, F100/150 & E100/150: The right/left axle shafts are the same. 1957/79 Passenger Cars use specific right/left axle shafts.

Note: The companion flange of the pictured 9 looks kinda small, are you sure this is a 9 inch?

1962/80 misc. Passenger Cars: Ford offered an 8 inch rear axle, looks damn near identical to a 9.

And, since the OP's F100 is a 1969... Be aware that beginning in 1973 (F100's), 1975 (F150's), the rear frame rails are 37 1/2" wide behind the cab. 1957/72 F100's rear frame rails are 33 1/2" wide behind the cab.

Wider rear frame rails: Longer housing, different spring hanger location.

People swapping 9's into their 1948/56's have to use the 1957/72 F100 9, cuz the later housings cause the rear wheels to stick out past the rear fenders.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'll check for numbers but there isn't a tag anymore.[confused]
:rotz: I see the tag: It's rectangular...at 12 o'clock in the pic...under a carrier bolt...covered up by grease. Blow the pic up...there it is. :)

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'll degrease the case tonight so I can see things easier. I was looking for an actual metal tag attached to it.
The actual steel ID tag is located on the carrier, under one of the bolts. Plainly visible in your pic at 12 o'clock. If my 66 year old eyes can see it, I would think yours could too.

Last edited:
IMG00036.jpg

Rearaxletag.jpg

78F250

New Jersey Chapter member
The actual steel ID tag is located on the carrier, under one of the bolts. Plainly visible in your pic at 12 o'clock. If my 66 year old eyes can see it, I would think yours could too.

I don't know what you see, Bill. I found where a tag was probably broken off. Mil1ion, looks to be broken off from your diagram.

Attachments

• Tag broken.jpg
Last edited:
Yep, looked like a tag to me too, guys. :/
But somehow seemed like it was in an odd place being at the top tho.

Here's what it woulda looked like, if you had one. ;) LOL
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Ftags.jpg

Check out the housing differences...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/F100-9inch.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/F150-9inch.jpg
...the four tags up above show both those pickups were made in the last
week of Jan '75.
1) a plain Jane F150 with a long wide bed.
2) a plain Jane F100 Super Cab with long wide bed.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/yoketool.jpg
That Ford9inch "pumpkin" has got a "hooded" pinion bearing retainer.
That thing plus the housing looking heavy, like the F150's would make
me claim the that axle is one of the "better factory-made Ford9inch".

But you know? :/
There's even better ones than that one by two steps, at least! :)

"Ford never learned how to make the same part twice ;)" -my Chevy buddies

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts