Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Autolite copper plugs

smiliepeelout I installed a set of Autolite 764 Copper plugs with Crane wires in my 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII at 86,000 miles in 1999, I just replaced them because the car is now at 189,000 miles. There were no problems with them, it just seemed like it was about time. Upon removal and inspection I was pleasently surprised to find that the gap was still at .054 to .056 and the color was a grey with just a hint of tan. The new plugs are Motorcraft OEM Double platinum and as the change was just a week ago I have not noticed a difference in performance or economy but I'll be watching. If I replace the plugs again it will be with the Autolite 764s, for the price and performance they are great! My Mk VIII has always given 19 to 24 mpg with combined city/highway driving and about 28 mpg on trips and does not use any oil between changes of Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. And yes, I'm a Grandpa but I still put my size 12 in it when challenged at the street light.smiliepeelout

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHA...glad to hear you're not afraid to get on that skinny pedal. I've always been a fan of the Autolite coppers as well. As for the double platinums...I doubt you'll see any gains...at least I haven't heard of much if any for stockers. Keep us posted.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
The double platinums and fine wire platinums (Motorcraft) will give you longevity, but no performance difference between coppers and platinums.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts