Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's 98 Mark VIII Build thread

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
It may be a DD, but I'm always gonna have the urge to mod her. Let's start with me correcting paint and fixing other little odds and ends.

The day she came home:

IMG_20110820_160747.jpg

Today, I cleared the passenger's side headlight lens.

IMG_20110824_145831.jpg

IMG_20110824_145838.jpg

IMG_20110824_145845.jpg

IMG_20110824_145854.jpg

As you can see, the results are day and night (Ha! Headlight pun!!)... :D I left the driver's side alone til I figure out what I want to do about the water intrusion.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Is the water intrusion just from a bad o-ring on the bulb itself, or is it deeper than that? What kind of kit did you use for the lenses? Big difference!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Is the water intrusion just from a bad o-ring on the bulb itself, or is it deeper than that?

I think it's somewhere in the rear seal... I haven't dug deep into it yet, but these housings aren't cheap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That does look worlds better. And I must say, I'm super happy reading that this was only a headlight cleaning, instead of a mod-fest.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That does look worlds better. And I must say, I'm super happy reading that this was only a headlight cleaning, instead of a mod-fest.

I'm really having a hard time containing myself! :D No big mods, at least until I finish my college run... en theory.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Here's a good daytime light output comparison:

As you can see, the driver's side fogginess is holding in a fair amount of light, whereas the passenger's side emits the light outwards.

IMG_20110824_160532.jpg

IMG_20110824_160525.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I put flowmaster mufflers on one of those cars for a friend. Sounded great. Would be a good mod.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Straight piped after the cats is what I did to mine, and with the factory tips welded back in place it looked stock.

Are all of your headlights working? High and low beams? If not, get ready to shell out some stupid amounts of money, as they don't produce one of the bulbs anymore. Used factory bulbs have gone for roughly $150. I cant remember if its the high or low beam though, one of them is out of production. There are retrofit kits, but they are spendy as wll, although they allow you to use common bulbs.

The forum you need is lincoln vs cadillac .com. Check out the Mark section, and ask about tuning there. The guy I got my tune from is a genius, and knows more about these cars than you or I probably know about everything else combined. :D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Take the light off the car, dry the inside and put a small bit of silicone around all the seals. Its a temp fix until you find something better, the silicone will keep the water out for quite along time. But if you decide to change seals or what ever it comes off easily enough.

Just my 2 cents.
Use clear silicone so it doesn't stand out....

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Take the light off the car, dry the inside and put a small bit of silicone around all the seals. Its a temp fix until you find something better, the silicone will keep the water out for quite along time. But if you decide to change seals or what ever it comes off easily enough.

Just my 2 cents.
Use clear silicone so it doesn't stand out....

x2 thats what i was gonna suggest....

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I think it's somewhere in the rear seal... I haven't dug deep into it yet, but these housings aren't cheap.

Smallest drill bit, two small holes, one on each side of the housing at the bottom (as a drain). Problem solved. Did that on the Marquis a few years ago- solved the problem, never came back.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Straight piped after the cats is what I did to mine, and with the factory tips welded back in place it looked stock.

Are all of your headlights working? High and low beams? If not, get ready to shell out some stupid amounts of money, as they don't produce one of the bulbs anymore. Used factory bulbs have gone for roughly $150. I cant remember if its the high or low beam though, one of them is out of production. There are retrofit kits, but they are spendy as wll, although they allow you to use common bulbs.

The forum you need is lincoln vs cadillac .com. Check out the Mark section, and ask about tuning there. The guy I got my tune from is a genius, and knows more about these cars than you or I probably know about everything else combined. :D

No mufflers is a no go, but the 3rd cat is gonna hit the dust. (emissions regulations - visuals)...

Headlights all work, thankfully! I've been reading up on how dang 'spensive they are; I don't wanna have to go down that road.

AND - I've already found LVC; they're a pretty knowledgeable crowd! What's this fellas username??

Enrie - I was thinking the same, but that depends on what the seals look like. I think I'll save this for a last resort.

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
Smallest drill bit, two small holes, one on each side of the housing at the bottom (as a drain). Problem solved. Did that on the Marquis a few years ago- solved the problem, never came back.
Worked well when I did that to my stepdads ram as well.

Are you sure you're not a kiwi Ernie smilietease - sounds like something we would do lol .... and it works very well too

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
What kit did you use? We bought one at walmart for my wife's mustang and it didn't do as good as what yours looks like. Huge difference.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I used the 3M kit. It's all about the speed of the drill, though.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Little nominal update... finished the other headlight polishing and put a small pin hole in the side to let the moisture out. Also cleaned up my rims, but I'm going to polish them tomorrow to finish everything up.

Before:
IMG_20110904_131528.jpg

After:
IMG_20110904_131514.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts