Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Attention All 6.0 Owners!!!!!

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Ford released this questionaire about aftermakrket and stock filters. this is information is rather important if you ask me.​

6.0L & 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Super Duty and Excursion Air Filtration
Q&A
Q: Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass
50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Q: Won't aftermarket airbox modifications, which use a lower priced filter, save me money?
A: Don't be fooled by aftermarket tactics of comparing the cost of one filter because you also need to know how often you'll need to change filters. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters

hold more than three pounds of dust, dirt and soot. The aftermarket kits tested by Donaldson Company, Inc. held about half this amount. And don't forget, if these aftermarket replacement filters are less than 99.99% efficient, they pass some contaminant through to the engine that the OE filter would have stopped!

Q: How frequently do the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters need to be changed?
A: Everybody's driving habits and environments are different. Owners/Dealers should check the air filter restriction gauge (located on the upper housing of the air cleaner assembly) at each oil change interval to determine when the filter needs to be changed. Some vehicles also have a dash light that will illuminate when the filter needs to be changed. No replacement is necessary until the filter minder (or dash light) gives indication.
Q: My filter minder doesn't seem to move, so shouldn't I check or change the filter to be safe?
A: The filter minder is a gauge that starts registering only after the filter reaches a certain point of being filled. This is why owners do not see it consistently move (like a gas gauge). Rest assured, the filter minder works and there is no reason to check on the filter by removing the airbox cover, thereby increasing the risk of contaminants entering the air intake system. Remember, the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters hold more than three pounds of contaminant – so it will take some time to fill!
Q: I want maximum airflow through the system to provide more power. Don't some aftermarket filters provide more airflow than the 6.0L or 6.4L OE air filters?
A: Airflow should not be the determining factor in buying a filter. Think about it: would you ever operate without a filter in place even though you'd get maximum air flow? High airflow generally means the filter is less efficient at stopping contaminants, too. Owners should instead look for the combination of three factors: airflow, how small of contaminant the filter will stop, and how much contaminant the filter will hold. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems provide a great combination and it comes standard on all Super Duty and Excursion trucks!
Q: If the 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems are so effective and efficient, why would anybody pay to modify them?
A: Excellent question. It makes no sense to pay hard earned money to go backwards in technology – especially considering that such modifications may even put future warranty repairs in jeopardy. You invested in your 6.0L or 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel truck to provide years of dependable service. Ford engineered it with a great filtration. So just why would anyone pay to modify it?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Thanks for the info

The only reason I even look under the hood is if the truck won't start and even then I am not sure what I am looking at. I have my service done at the dealership so I hope they are using the right filters...YelloThumbUp

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Great post!!!! Personally, I'm totally against any (mainly K&N) intake or air filter "performance mod".

I just happened to be flipping through a magazine when I ran across a Bank's ad for their intake system. It wasn't the numbers that they gave for their system that caught my eye, it was the numbers they gave for the Ford 6.0L, Cummins 5.9L, and Chevy 6.6L stock intakes that did.

Here's what Banks gave for stock intake airflows (CFM):
6.0L = 508
5.9L = 422
6.6L = 417

Wow, the Ford system flows a lot better than the other 2!

what did banks give for there filter

Banks claims for their intake are (CFM):

6.0L = 695
5.9L = 682
6.6L = 617

They also claim that the AFE intake for the 6.0L is 645 CFM.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my stock filter. More air sound good but at what cost.

One of the things that not only the techs on the board, but even in the dealerships I use, have been trying to get across for quite a while now. Is that, yes, you will get a lot more airflow from these aftermarket high-performance intakes, but it could come at the cost of dusting your turbo. Now if you're actually building a HP/Torque monster, then there will be a benefit from the additional flow, but then again, people that build these monsters have more to deal with than dusting a turbo and they also don't go complaining to the dealership when their truck stops working, demanding that it be repaired under warranty. When the warranty claim is denied, they then make a big stink about how that's "illegal" and go on to misquote the M-M Act.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
go complaining to the dealership when their truck stops working, demanding that it be repaired under warranty. When the warranty claim is denied, they then make a big stink about how that's "illegal" and go on to misquote the M-M Act.
HEY NOW!! Not all of us go do that. I don't even go to my dealership for ANYTHING engine or powertrain related. They don't want to touch it, nor do I want them to. I use an S&B Eight layer gauze filter for my "Torque" monster. Yeah, I race it at the drag strip on the weekends. I'm also smart enough to know trouble is coming shortly and thus I bought a spare motor, tranny and trans case. I also have a replacement turbo on order that will be much more tolerant of that filter. Oh, it'll also suck in small birds and rodents from a few feet away!! lol

Now, now! Just to be fair to EnviroCon, there was the word "don't" in front of the words "go complaining" in the original statement he made, when referring to you sadistic, who in their right mind would race an 8K pound brick, people. So let's not make it sound like he was clumping you crazy people in with the bad folk. This is a friendly kind of forum.:rofl::nana:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts