Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Are you freaking kidding me.....#@(*&#!(*!@

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
My concern is I'm supposed to drive it over the pass (twice) on a 600 mile round trip this weekend.

Really need this sucker to be ok. Getting stuck in the middle of wheat country and no phone service. I will be blowing it up~

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ok, just received a call from the new shop. They drove the c**p outta it and can't get it to act up. He doesn't want me to throw money at it until we can figure out what's going on.
Did say it looks like someone's removed the oil pan as it's all shiny clean. Since I walked under the truck while at the old shop, I now know for a fact they did work on it.

I'm going to take them the Rancho's and per his recommendation, drive it to death between now and Thursday to try and get it to act up again.

oy'

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I didn't know what you meant by 'lurch' at first (I assumed you meant it would accelerate on its own) but for years my truck has gone into temporary fits where it slams into gear and kind of bucks when it shifts.

Ryan

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
That's it Ryan

going from Park to a gear, big thunking sound and a "buck". Same with shifting while driving. The feeling is like you've been tapped on the rear bumper by another vehicle.

Just took the Rancho's down, they're going to go ahead and pull the pan to see if there is metal residue. If it's clean, I go on my merry way, if not...they'll do the rebuilt per the "codes" pulled by first company.

I like these guys (knocks on wood)

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
HA!!!!!!!! I knew it!!!!

Once again you guys are right, love that =)

new shop pulled the tranny pan and state: "It is pristine clean". So, either the old shop messed with it or there is nothing wrong.

They are going to go ahead and install a new MLSP-thingy, put on shocks and call it good.

*whew*...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Fantastic! Sounds like a great end to a bad story!

How bout the speed sensor in the rear end? Did the speedometer go dead? Sounds like an issue much like I have been dealing with. I guess that sensor has to be working properly to feed information to the transmission to get the shift points right. Mine makes a hell of a bang. Shifts hard at the wrong time going up and down. Last night I checked the connection at the sensor and it was not good. I am surprised that I missed that when I put it together. I corrected that but there is about a half dozen other items on my punch list after a 6 month drive train, body, and interior O/H so it won't be able to see the road for another week or two...the suspense is killin me.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Bit of an update; drove over to Spokane after work on Friday. Limped into the gas station at Moses Lake (2/3rd of the trip) with it lurching again out of 1st and 2nd. Thought about turning around right then and coming back but figured if it was really going to quit on me cold, I did not want to get stuck up on the pass at night with 30* temps.
Went on into Spokane, got up next day and drove back. By the time I got to my own driveway the lurching is now hard again.
It will be going to the shop on Monday...at least I made it home and am very happy over that!

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Speedometer has never stopped, no other symptoms that I can tell, but unless you guys mention something I won't know where to look.

Will just wait to see what the codes say on Monday.

Fellro

Staff member
The rear axle gives the speedo signal, I believe there is also a sensor on the trans on the E4OD only. Used to argue with the corporate data entry about that all the time. They have the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) listed as one in the trans, and as of 92, there isn't one in the trans for the speedo, only one in the rear axle. The one in the rear was originally for the ABS, so that is how it is listed. The one in the trans is only for the ecm in regards to the trans itself. Sad thing is, I can go to the website and still have the exact same problem, they never listened. I was irritated when I first found that issue, as I knew what I wanted, but they have it listed wrong.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
FYI Rebuild kits for these transmissions run about 500 bucks,it is the labor that costs,but a reputable shop,I wouldnt pay more than 1500 to have this performed.if you have to go that route

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Just received a call from the shop. It's the torque converter failing.

He said a good one runs about $500 and with the labor etc yada yada..my bill will be $1234.78

*sigh*

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Ya...it's always the high end of the quote.

Ran it past the boss asking if he wanted to make the "man call". He mulled it over and said they're dinging me here and here but yeah...that's pretty much what it is. Me I'm thinking...wuss.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ah..just got the print out from the shop.

I have the E40D tranny, said it holds 12 quarts of fluid $60
Converter $485.94
Labor $561.48
tax $107.41

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts