Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AOD

I posted this thread to the wrong section. Is it possible to hook up an AOD to my '87 F250? Would it be easy, need some modification, or "what the hell are ya trying to do?" difficult. I know the indicator on the instrument panel probably wouldn't like it.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
What engine? The AOD was common in the '87 F-Series but it depends on which engine you have, any of the small blocks can have the AOD behind it but IIRC the 7.5 was C6 till '90ish...

What engine? The AOD was common in the '87 F-Series but it depends on which engine you have, any of the small blocks can have the AOD behind it but IIRC the 7.5 was C6 till '90ish...

In 1989 my dad could only order my truck with a C6 if he got or 351. Another reason he opted for the 300. AOD should bolt up...

Sorry about missing engine info. It's a 351. So... back to my original question, is it possible for a direct bolt-up? Trying to get better fuel economy.

Sorry about missing engine info. It's a 351. So... back to my original question, is it possible for a direct bolt-up? Trying to get better fuel economy.

If it came off of a 302 or a 351 it will bolt up. 300 might work too, but I'm not sure.

Shifter will be fine, standard AOD shift pattern is PRN(D)D1 which is the same number of positions as the C6. You will need a 28oz 5.8/AOD flexplate .. DO NOT USE THE C6 FLEXPLATE, and you also need a throttle linkage bracket and TV cable from a truck, the AOD will not operate properly without this cable being attached and correctly adjusted. I'd also strongly suggest a shiftkit for the tranny. The AOD in my truck has survived 8 years and counting behind a pretty stout 5.8 so it can work, my best milage was 17+mpg us cruising on relatively flat divided hwy at 70mph.

Last edited:
Thanks. thats the info I was looking for. So the driveshaft will work? In your opinion would this swap be worth the time and trouble? Any idea on % increase in fuel economy? Maybe I should try this in a '69 LTD with a C-6

Thanks again.

You will get big highway milage increases, how much depends on the axle gearing/tire size and speed you travel. In my truck engine speed drops from 2900rpm in 3rd to 2000rpm in OD at 70mph, which needless to say makes a HUGH difference. Around town you won't see any difference.

Paul,
You've been very helpful. would there be any downside? It seems that there wouldn't except I don't think I could shift it into 2nd. Don't the AODs go 1st, D, OD? And one more time ... will the drive shaft be okay or is there a difference in length between the AOD and the C6?

There is no downside except the shifter thing, but not many people really use an auto like that anyway. You can still get into 2nd manually by accelerating in 1st and then shifting to D and back to first right after the tranny shifts, the tranny then holds second unless you slow down again. I don't know about the driveshaft but the AOD was used in trucks so the correct length shaft is available.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts