Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AOD rebuild

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So, I'm swapping a 351c into the '70 and I don't have the $$$ right now to pick up a TKO600 like I want so I'm just going to rebuild an old AOD that I had in the '70 originally, only problem is I toasted either one or both of the pumps in it and I want to know if they can be rebuilt or do I need to be thinking replacement??

Either way where can I find the parts? I've been able to find a few pump parts online but no luck when it comes to the pumps themselves...

Thanks,

Parts..rebuilt front pump, rebuilt torque converter, a rebuild kit (contains clutches, O-rings, and other soft parts), bands (not sure how many are in that trans), thrust washer kit, bushing set, Front and rear seals (if not in rebuild kit), filter and pan gasket (if not in kit).

Before you order any parts get an ATSG manual from NAPA auto parts. Or...order it from www.atsgmiami.com

It will cost a few dollars more in shipping, but either way it should be less than $30.

A real ford rebuild book is better, but hard to come by. The ATSG are fine though. Dad has one professional (don't ask how he got it) MOTOR brand rebuild book for fords. I think that is one of the best ones ever (real old).

Once you have the book then order parts.

This is where we used to order all our parts. Sometimes I went and picked them up and sometimes we had them shipped. They have everything in stock (warehouse in back) even the little shifting grommets on an old C5 or something.

ATC Distribution Group Inc.

1350 E Chestnut Expy
Springfield, MO 65802-3565 USA
Phone: 417-831-7920
Toll Free Phone: 800-720-7060
FAX: 417-831-1637

They have warehouses all over the country though. Either call the toll free number and ask or do a web search.

This is not where the typical shade tree mechanic gets parts. Professional mechanics deal with them most of the time. A friend of ours in the business hooked us up with the name. You can find discount parts on evilbay, but not the same quality.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
the one for the 351C I just picked up went with the trans so I'm trying to find a new one, on evil bay I've found both the 28 and 50 oz flex plates and both say they will work with my engine...

Fellro

Staff member
ANother question, what is the difference between the 28oz and the 50oz flex plates?
It was based off of production build date, If I recall correctly, the newer ones were the higher imbalance, but i don't know absolute, as well as when they made the change.

Fellro

Staff member
ANother question, what is the difference between the 28oz and the 50oz flex plates?
It was based off of production build date, If I recall correctly, the newer ones were the higher imbalance, but i don't know absolute, as well as when they made the change. Also only applies to the 351W that I am aware of.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts