Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone want to fix my Ford for me?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
As some of you know I just moved to Moscow, ID and sadly had to leave my last remaining Ford behind :( due to the front axle being seized, and partially shattered...the truck is awaiting a SAS to either a Dana 44 solid or Dana 60 (converted to coils)

Before i left i had to move the ford from its previous resting place and jerked it with the dodge enough to break the axle loose and then jumped it and she fired right up and drove(ish) around the property until the axle decided it had had enough again.

I have no time to fix the truck but those 5 minutes of driving made me realize how much i miss her so i will put this offer out to anyone who wants a project...
If anyone wants to do an SAS to a Dana 44 solid I will pay for the axle, pay you what i can for your time and/or give you free reign in my barn full of Ford parts for compensation!

I dont expect any takers but its somthing to think about, my parts colection has all the1/2 ton suspension and drivetrain from a gen 8-9 Ford including M5OD tranny with less than 3k on new synchros, BW T case, etc., a running 302, a Sterling 10.25 4.10 full float rear axle, and misc lift parts...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
If I was near Moscow,and had more of a clue on SAS swaps,i'd be right there to help ya.Maybe you can get someone to just put in a new axle for now so you can at least bring the truck to ya?Or did ya screw up more than just the axle?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
The truck is actually in Monroe, WA. The axle is fluckered up but it seems easier to just throw a straight axle 44 in instead of messing with a TTB replacment and bracket angles and whatnot..espescially since i would just swap out the TTB for a straight the first chance i got

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well,if you just messed up the axle shafts,then that's not hard to replace. But if you messed up the arms or brackets, you might as well just do an SAS swap.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
its a long story let me see if i can find a link to the thread from when it happened

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Cant find it but anyways heres the short of it.

Wheel bearing goes out, no big deal right? wrong!
Pull the hub apart and the spindle nut has 6 prong holes...1/2 ton should have 4 and my 4 prong doesnt fit. So i try a 3/4 / 1 ton 6 prong tool, doesnt fit because the hub is smaller than the tool. so i get a 4 prong an grind off the prongs and cut and bend 6 prongs that fit.

Get out the breaker bar and cant loosen the thing! Put a tq wrench on it and max it out! (spindle nuts should only be tqed to 50-80 ft lbs) So i said F it and start prying it out well no go because theres 2 snap lock rings holding it in, get one out but cant get the other...after awhile i see that it is a x2 spiral lock ring that has one ring on each side of the spindle nut!!

At that point i go through the records my fam had on the truck (its been in the family since day 1) and find out that in 1994 the front axle blew up. So i go to Bickford Ford in Snohomish WA where it was bought and serviced and talk to Randall who was in charge back then and he admitted to me that at that time they paid bonuses for mechanics who could move rigs in and out fastest and they had several mechanics who were more interested in making parts on hand work than waiting and ordering them! So best i can find out is that someone in 94 shaved down some 3/4 ton stuff and got it in there with a crazy combo of snap rings and whatnot and basically made a 1 time use only axle... It explained why it never broke wheeling with 400hp and 36's BUT when somthing small went wrong there is no way to disassemble short of a cutting torch!

So all that considered it will be easier to swap the whole damn thing because i spent months effin with it to no avail.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
To be honest i should have known from the start Bickford was at fault...
The only reason i got that truck was because my father was told the motor was blown by their current mechanics and was suckered into buying an 11 grand ranger...

I offer to take the truck instead of scrapping it and when i go with a trailer to pick it up from their service lot i said just for tits and giggles ima try to start it well it fired right up! Turns out the 302 split a rad seam and just went into hydrolock after dumping coolant and overheating! 400 bucks on parts later she ran great. They had also overfilled the oil by 4 qts so it would blow black and blue smoke when started just in case he tryed to check if it wasnt blown they said it was a melted piston!!!

In my opinion one of the WORST dealerships in the state of WA for integrity!!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
hey if someone made me an offer i couldnt refuse i would sell her..

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Yea,you're better off doing the SAS swap.

It's amazing what some people will do to a truck.When I picked up the TTB for my truck off a buddy,I couldn't believe what he had done to some of it.I'm glad I only bought it for the arms and differential which weren't touched.Here's what the spindle looked like.The truck it came out of is only 15 years old.:rotz:

picture099f.jpg

He also gave me a bag full of misc. dis-assembled hubs, but since the spindle is in such horrible shape, I'm not even gonna waste my time trying to put two good ones together and trusting them.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
******* how do you do that kind of damage? Where those original?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Beats me. He never did tell me. They were originals. It looks like somebody took a claw hammer to them.

Needless to say,he won't be touching my truck.

Everything I wanted was in good shape,so that's what matters.I'm planning on getting new stuff from the knuckles out anyway.

The bearing hubs seem to be good. But i'm still not using them just in case.

picture101r.jpg

Here's the locking hub collection. One Warn Premium, one factory auto locker, and two factory manual lockers all in pieces.

picture072v.jpg

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
hahaha i hope you didnt pay more than you can thats worth in scrap metal! Course its always good to have spares around but seeing the condition of his stuff im not sure i would trust anything that has been taken apart

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Luckily,the differential and arms were untouched. I paid $50 which got me the arms, differential w/gears, radius arms, pivot brackets, front springs, and about 3/4 of the outer stuff (knuckles,spindles). Oh and delivery to my house. My favorite junkyard wants $100 for the arms and differential only.Everything else gets added to that.

The only two things i'm using are the TTB Arms and the Differential. Everything else is goin on a shelf. I'm gonna use new drop brackets, springs, extended radius arms, new higher front and rear gear ratios and a few other things.

I don't have everything in this pic,but what i'm using is.This was post paint removal.

picture082.jpg

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Sadly just as i expected no one is jumping at the chance

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
yeah there doesnt seem to be to many members up in the PNW, maybe i should repost in that chapter section

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry man......if I wasn't at the complete opposite end of the country I'd jump on it....

Same here...I've always wanted to be involved in a SAS, but all my rigs come ready-equipped.smilieFordlogo

yeah there doesnt seem to be to many members up in the PNW, maybe i should repost in that chapter section

Might wanna try over on NWU?????

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts