Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone seen these valve covers before???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
One of my part sources came across a set of these valve covers, came off a 400. He's more than been around these trucks and has never seen a set, I've never seen a set either. I've always loved the MT and Holley finned valve covers, but I think these Ford Motorsports covers take the cake. The guy said he referenced them to an 80's performance piece and they were like $300 new back then. They were shipped to me today.

image212.jpg

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Paint them then diamond cut the fins......ill provide a nut cup for the nut kick....

On edit, my cusins 79 mud truck has those on it...had them re chromed bout two years ago...400 in it as well...ok so it started as a 400....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Those are really sharp looking. Would you keep them bare or paint them?

Ryan

I'm going to clean the oil stains first and go from there. Tough not to paint Ford stuff blue...and possibly polish the fins. But for now, I'd just keep them bare.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
probably were for a 351C.

Probably were...I run mostly 351c covers on my 400's. The ones that say 'powered by ford' instead of just the Ford logo.

Yes Ben.... the Ford Motorsports Catalog was a 5.0 Mustang Guys Bible..lol

ford_motorsports_catalog.JPG

smilieFordlogo

That's awesome...that transitioned to FRPP, right???

The most iconic look is the black paint & polished fins. These are perfect for that, despite Eric's bad taste.

Ryan

I'm thinking more like Lee has with his M/T finned covers, but polished fins...if I were to paint

0015.JPG

They look great Ben - never seen them before though ....... maybe a real good polish and a coat of nyalic to seal them

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben quoted..That's awesome...that transitioned to FRPP, right???

Exactly Ben...;)

Thought so...had an opportunity to by an MSD Ford Motorsports 6al ignition box for a good price, considering it's a 6al. But when I realized it said 'Ford Motorsports'...It's been the better part of 20 years since they were called that...so I passed, it was too expensive for the novelty.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Thought so...had an opportunity to by an MSD Ford Motorsports 6al ignition box for a good price, considering it's a 6al. But when I realized it said 'Ford Motorsports'...It's been the better part of 20 years since they were called that...so I passed, it was too expensive for the novelty.

Considering its age...Probably a wise choice Ben...heck they are just under 400 bucks new with Boost timing control which is what i had..

Neat valve covers, I might have to keep an eye out for a set. I've got the M/T valve covers on mine now; they were on the truck when I got it. I like them, but those cut the cake as you said.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Neat valve covers, I might have to keep an eye out for a set. I've got the M/T valve covers on mine now; they were on the truck when I got it. I like them, but those cut the cake as you said.

Might not be as difficult as I originally thought. I had never seen a set (or never paid enough attetion) before I bought mine...now I'm seeing 1-2 sets a week.

Might not be as difficult as I originally thought. I had never seen a set (or never paid enough attetion) before I bought mine...now I'm seeing 1-2 sets a week.

oh ok. guess I'll check out ebay?

primetime

sawmill slave
I have seen those valve covers. I actually miss the motorsport labeled stuff. I was a little bummed out out when Ford went to "racing" because the motorsports aspect was different than the other guys.

On the plus side, windsor guys are finally getting pent roof valve covers. Woo hoo!

As for the motorsport MSD, I would have bought it, then sent it back to MSD to be redone. Guys are looking for the seventies units to do just that.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts