Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone have trouble with thrush welded exhaust

SuperGizzman

Mangstafusauceinator
I'm having trouble getting my thrush welded muffler to sound like it's supposed to I've cut one catalytic converter off but still have one on and it's making more of a high note than a low bass note when I rev it I have a video of it on YouTube search 1992 f150 exhaust should be under user name superGizzman

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
How are you determining "to sound like it's supposed to"? The reason I ask is that when I've done custom exhaust for people the same muffler will sound different on different trucks or cars depending on what else is done. If you are listening to sound clips on youtube and wondering why something doesn't sound the same maybe other stuff has been done to the vehicle. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people recommend straight pipes. I tried it for one night and was out the next day buying mufflers. People rave about how straight pipes sound and I think it just sounds like a giant exhaust leak. My cherrybombs sound different then other trucks with the same ones.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
From what I can see and hear in the video it sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Also you have smoke coming out of one tailpipe and not the other. Depending on how the pipes are split I've seen it before but when you rev it smoke will usually come out both. Is one not connected?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
From what I can see and hear in the video it sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Also you have smoke coming out of one tailpipe and not the other. Depending on how the pipes are split I've seen it before but when you rev it smoke will usually come out both. Is one not connected?

sounds like a leak to me to

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It sounds like these guys have you covered...but I'll just say there are alot of factors that play into the tone of exhaust. Could be size of exhaust pipe, bends in the pipe, where you put that muffler along the pipe, crossover pipes, then different types of headers are all things that can lead to different tone...not to mention actual engine/computer upgrades...or if they're backing the same engine at all.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How do I fix it

Depends...could be a blown exh. gasket or doughnut seal. Could be a warped manifold or head...or maybe the head just needs to be trued up and brought back to square. Or it could be as simple as retorquing the bolts. I'd start with the bolts and work my way to the gaskets.

Ford Truck Articles