Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone have an OEM tailgate on their truck?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
or maybe you are just crazy... :D

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks for lookin' brother.

I'd love to get 2nd and 3rd opinions if anyone else wants to look.

I'll check both Rangers when I get home...pretty sure they've both got factory original gates. If the weather stays good, I might even pop off the panels and look inside for ya.

*IIRC, you had a sprayed in liner before, right? When I first had the '09, the tailgate seemed really flimsy and light to me...figured it was just one more place they'd tried to cut costs. Since I had it LineX'd, though, it's noticably heavier and feels LOADS sturdier.

If you're used to a lined 'gate and this one hasn't been done yet, that may explain a lot of what you're seeing, too.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'll check both Rangers when I get home...pretty sure they've both got factory original gates. If the weather stays good, I might even pop off the panels and look inside for ya.

*IIRC, you had a sprayed in liner before, right? When I first had the '09, the tailgate seemed really flimsy and light to me...figured it was just one more place they'd tried to cut costs. Since I had it LineX'd, though, it's noticably heavier and feels LOADS sturdier.

If you're used to a lined 'gate and this one hasn't been done yet, that may explain a lot of what you're seeing, too.
I kinda wondered about that but it seemed silly that line-x would add much rigidity... I do need to get this new one lined so maybe I'll do that sooner than later.

In fact I have to get my whole bed redone cuz it won't match the gate 'smiliedoh'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm just starting to wonder if they truck they pulled it from had actually had the gate replaced before.

The shop wouldn't have charged you different for pulling a OEM gate vs an aftermarket gate, would they? Cuz that woulda sucked. Outta curiousity, why didn't you grab a gate and then bring it to the shop?

or maybe you are just crazy... :D

Gets my vote.

In fact I have to get my whole bed redone cuz it won't match the gate 'smiliedoh'

Will they have to respray the whole bed, or just spray a new top coat to make it all purdy again?

BTW...I'll check Thunder's original gate tonight.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The shop wouldn't have charged you different for pulling a OEM gate vs an aftermarket gate, would they? Cuz that woulda sucked. Outta curiousity, why didn't you grab a gate and then bring it to the shop?
The gate cost somethin like $400 or 500 from the salvage yard. The insurance company actually researched and found it so they could justify giving me less money for a used gate. I gave the body shop the info and they had the gate shipped out to them on All State's dime.

I could have tried to find one myself but it's just a big hassle and I wouldn't have been able to find it much cheaper and I just don't have time.

Will they have to respray the whole bed, or just spray a new top coat to make it all purdy again?
They'll topcoat the whole bed and spray the gate too.

BTW...I'll check Thunder's original gate tonight.
I thought thunder was backed into a hair salon or something. Original gate?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The gate cost somethin like $400 or 500 from the salvage yard. The insurance company actually researched and found it so they could justify giving me less money for a used gate. I gave the body shop the info and they had the gate shipped out to them on All State's dime.

I could have tried to find one myself but it's just a big hassle and I wouldn't have been able to find it much cheaper and I just don't have time.

Gotcha...that still sounds pretty steep though.

They'll topcoat the whole bed and spray the gate too.?

Gotcha

I thought thunder was backed into a hair salon or something. Original gate?

Just cuz it went through a hair salon doesn't mean, the gate isn't still hanging in the shed.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
FWIW, the only place my '09 Ranger 'gate is stamped with Ford is on the latch mechanism underneath the access panel.

I didn't see a stamp anywhere on the '97, but I didn't pop the panel off that one (nor can I swear absolutely that it's the factory 'gate, either...).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wait so you had to remove the access panel to find the stamp? Hmm, maybe I'll take mine off and check inside. Lots of screws... Kind of annoying.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah- when I popped the access panel off, the latch mechanism itself had the Ford oval stamped on it. Twice, actually, on what appeared to be the same casting. [confused]

EDIT: "Kind of annoying"? Gimme a break...I took mine off as a favor to you, now you're too lazy to use the information? :p Took me all of five minutes...'course, keeping my tools in the kitchen may have saved me a few minutes on that front.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah- when I popped the access panel off, the latch mechanism itself had the Ford oval stamped on it. Twice, actually, on what appeared to be the same casting. [confused]

EDIT: "Kind of annoying"? Gimme a break...I took mine off as a favor to you, now you're too lazy to use the information? :p Took me all of five minutes...'course, keeping my tools in the kitchen may have saved me a few minutes on that front.
:rofl: I didn't expect you to go to all that trouble for me. How many bolts on your panel anyway?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Either 8 or 10...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mine's got 8 - four "pairs".

I've taken 'em off the fullsize tailgates, but I can't remember now how many there were. I think it's either 10 or 12.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just checked Thunder's gate externally and didn't find anything. Although, the left hand latch did have a Ford stamp and PN...but seeing as that's removable, I don't see that pertaining to the gate itself.

Ford Truck Articles