Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody have a billet grille?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm thinking of throwing on a billet grille, but it would get in the way of the hood release. Any suggestions?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm pretty sure there's a cable release kit for the handle that runs down to the bumper. Not sure where these can be bought, never paid too much to billet grilles. Personally, I think billet grilles are a tad 1980's with a Messican flare.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I was thinking there was a kit, but I can't find one... I think if the truck is done in a relatively reserved fashion, billet is okay.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I don't think billet grilles necessarily look bad...just not my cup of tea. I believe Scott, ranger429, has/had a billet grille on his 79 250, so he'll probably be able to guide you in right direction.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
I wanted a 50's style grille with at least 100 "bullets". I never found any bullets I like, but on a movie i watched a guy use a bunch of door knobs (matching, of course) for his truck.

FTF'er
Didn't some of the trucks come with a locking hood release that mounted inside the cab? I think some Econolines had them as well?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Didn't some of the trucks come with a locking hood release that mounted inside the cab? I think some Econolines had them as well?

You're right, but was that to full pop? Or was it like modern hoods where the release opens to latch one and then you still need to go out front to fully release the hood?

FTF'er
Yeah, that's right. I didn't think that all the way through.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
The hoods released from inside still have the safety catch that you have to lift to get the hood fully open.

Really? That must have started in 78?... Burt only has one release to open the hood and the locking in-the-cab cable/latch I pulled from another 77 has the exact same latch for under the hood attached to the cable?... I was going to install the latch this weekend and don't want to get in the middle of it to find out I can't use it. Am I missing parts I didn't know I needed?
Dak

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Really? That must have started in 78?... Burt only has one release to open the hood and the locking in-the-cab cable/latch I pulled from another 77 has the exact same latch for under the hood attached to the cable?... I was going to install the latch this weekend and don't want to get in the middle of it to find out I can't use it. Am I missing parts I didn't know I needed?
Dak

I only have experience with one ford with the locking hood latch, and that is the '78. I didn't realize that they were different.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

Here is a picture of the latch for the locking hood release. The latch on the right is released by the handle inside the cab. The latch on the left is the safety latch. There is a handle below the latch that must be lifted, which moves the latch to the right, releasing the hood.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Anybody ever hear of a relocation kit for said external release handle?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
No, I haven't, but one way around the safety latch would be to remove the u-shaped catch that is bolted onto the hood. That would prevent the latch from catching. But you also no longer have the safety feature on the hood latch.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd have to install the in-cab release then, right?

I'm personally a fan of the billet grilles and I know LMC makes two different styles and Strut also makes a completely different style. These grilles are not for everyone that is for sure, but if it's your style build your truck your way and check out those companies.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Are you using one?

not yet. Going to order the LMC one with the fine bars when I get a chance to do an LMC order. I'm ordering with caution as I know their stuff can tend to be crap. If their grille turns out to be crap I'll most likely use it as a template and fab my own. As you can see in my avatar my truck is far from finished.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts