Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any potential

Thinking about buying an '88 F150 inline 6 5speed wondering if theres any potential out of it or if id be better off swapping engines

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Depends what you want to get out of it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Buy a truck with an 8 in it, the 6 can be made to run, but the 8 will be way cheaper and easier.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No idea on the cost, way too many variables...but if you haven't bought the truck, why not just look for one with the engine that you want in it?

No idea on the cost, way too many variables...but if you haven't bought the truck, why not just look for one with the engine that you want in it?
All the other ones i can find are either rusted out, or beat to shit plus majority of them are 302s

You'll be happy with the 5.0 :)
I had a '89 F250 long box with the 302/ 5-speed and had more than enough power! (Also depends on rear end gears)
The '83 F250 Supercab I had came with a 351W. Not much difference except at the gas pump!!
Actually found a clean 351 truck single cab auto but i can live with the auto part, reason i want a 351w is because i want to get a fox body mustang later on (gonna be needing a back seat soon :p) and i could easily swap the 351w into the mustang for more power, also my first truck was an extended cab 351w i miss the truck a lot

Last edited:
You'll be happy with the 5.0 :)
I had a '89 F250 long box with the 302/ 5-speed and had more than enough power! (Also depends on rear end gears)
The '83 F250 Supercab I had came with a 351W. Not much difference except at the gas pump!!
Curious my uncle says with out a tune and MAF conversion on an '89 im limited to headers, exhaust, intake, and ignition is this accurate?

Fellro

Staff member
Actually found a clean 351 truck single cab auto but i can live with the auto part, reason i want a 351w is because i want to get a fox body mustang later on (gonna be needing a back seat soon :p) and i could easily swap the 351w into the mustang for more power, also my first truck was an extended cab 351w i miss the truck a lot

I will agree a W swap into a Fox body is kind of easy, a 302 is a direct fit. The w needs a lot of additional parts to work. Can it be done? Absolutely, but does take a little bit to accomplish.

I will agree a W swap into a Fox body is kind of easy, a 302 is a direct fit. The w needs a lot of additional parts to work. Can it be done? Absolutely, but does take a little bit to accomplish.
If i keep it in the truck, will i need to convert it to a maf and tune it to make any real power out of it?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts