Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any ideas

Just got back from goin to get wood, had to call it a day earlier than I wanted I couldnt even get any wood. So I took us almost 2 hours to get up there went for a lil sight seeing tour on dirt roads that were pretty bumpy. When we got to the are to cut I shut off my truck to talk to some people up there about the area, when I got in to move my truck off the road it didnt start was turnin over but not getting any gas both of my tanks had gas trued changin them and nothing. So luckily my buddy was with me and started to pull me back down the mountain, bout half way down maybe half an hour later we stopped to take a break so I tried to start my truck and it cranked right up like it always does. At first I thought it was the fuel pump but when I called the part store they said it has a pump in each tank, would they both go out at the same time when it didnt start at the top of the mountain we couldnt here the pump goin on when we would turn the key. So I was able to nake it all the way back home about an hour drive through city and highway with no problems when I got home I shut it off started it and it started with no problems, I did that bout ten times and it cranked everytime. Ive havent had this problem ever with the truck not starting. I just did a tune up maybe 6000 miles ago and but a new cap annd rotor and fuel filter bout 1000 miles ago. By the way its a 1990 f250 with the fuel injected 460. Hhas anybody experienced this problem or has any ideas I would appreciate the feed back.

primetime

sawmill slave
Intermittant issues like that can be tough to track down. About all I can tell you is to start it up and do the "wiggle test", where upon you start wiggling wires and connectors to try and make it quit and point you in the right direction.

I would probably start with checking for corrosion on your EEC and fuel pump relays, and also the connectors on the top of the fuel tanks and inertia switch.

If this happens again get someone to try starting the truck and pull a plug wire off enough to see if there is spark. If no spark it sounds like you have the ignition control module starting to fail. Depending on year and engine it could be mounted on the distributer or on the driver inner fender up near the fire wall they are fairly easy to replace and are not that expensive and usually most part stores will have one in stock. Only thing you will need is a 5.5 socket or the special socket in the help isle for ford ignition modules. Of course if its on the distributor will have to reset the timing once your done.

98f150 base, about a month ago I replaced the cap and rotor along with the ignition coil all with msd products. And my wires r only like a year old and they r msd too, along with ngk platnium plugs that went in with the wires.

As for primetimes response I was thinkin of doing the same thing because two weeks ago the same road rattled my passenger window off track so im thinking maybe something came loose. And with the truck startin half way down the mountain maybe it made the connection good again. As far as corrosion might be an issue cause pretty much everything I replaced has been the original parts from the factory, plus ive had a bunch of broken bolts when trying to loosen them cause their so baddly rusted. When I got the truck it only had 81000 on it from the original owner.

Sorry I re read the original post I forgot about you saying that the fuel pumps were not coming on. Ya you should look for a connection problem. But with that said i wasn't talking about normal tune up items ford started using ignition modules in the mid 80 most of the fuel injected engines I had a 90 ranger that had one go bad and it would randomly not start. But I would chase connection problems sorry about that:)

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It's not related but be wary of that MSD stuff. A lot of folks have been having problems out of them lately. Make sure your inertia switch is pushed down fully. A bumpy road can do that with ease. Your inertia switch is on the driverside firewall, behind the pedals. Also, check to make sure your fuel pump relay is fully seated in its spot.

Hey thats for that response flareside I was going to checkout that relay today, I figured since im there im just going to put in a new one their only $15 so not to bad and it wont hurt it. Ive heard of that switch too is it easy to reconize.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
03x08explorinertia1.JPG

Quick question though flareside would the truck just start again if that switch was tripped, also if I tripped the switch while driving wouldnt it have died on me.

It's located in the relay center directly behind the air box on the driver side it should have both the fuel pump and EEC relay not sure witch one is which but the cover should have them number if you have the owners manual it will tell which one is the fuel pump.

Thanks for the info ill have to check the manuel. And thats probably goin to be it because I had to remove that bracket when I put in my air intake filter cause it was rubbing against the filter and almost put a hole in it.

So I drove the truck all day yesturday with no problems, even took a load to the dump. This morning jumped in it to go for bear and just cranks no turning over. What a way to ruin the day goin for a hint and the truck doesnt start, its a good thing my buddy was takin his truck up. Ive been trying to drive it to try to pinpoint the problem so I hope now I can find it easier, it was kind of hard to figure out the problem of not startin when it start everytime after. By the way when I looked at my fuse box under the steering wheel their wasnt a fuse in the number 15 slot whoch is the auxilary fuel tank selecter, kind of odd. Not sure if thats the problem but ive never had any fuses on any vehical fall out before.

It was the eec relay all along. its all the same cicuit, the power goes threw the eec relay before the fuel pump relay. Who knows could have been both but I changed the fuel pump relay before the eec, either way its fixed. Thanks for everybodys info. Goin to been a long weekend of haulin wood glad to get back in the mountains though, to bad I had to miss most of the bear season maube ill get lucky this weekend.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts