Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any good performance mods for the 4.6?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
One thing that sucks about my 4.6 is the price on cam upgrades. When you have to buy 4 camshafts, it ain't cheap. :D

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
ahh, my experience with the 4.6 mod motors? well recently i worked over my buddys 2004 mustang and heres some foot notes ive got.

high flow cats? did nothing, except add some sound, maybe some slightly better top end power, but i think maybe lost a few ft lbs down low, he has flowmasters by the way.

headers? about the best cheap bolt on, longtubes have some more gains over shortys, but both are a great improvement over stock.

cold air intake, while this one is a popular one to argue about, in my personal experiences i think they are worth the dough, the intake on the 04 stang was pretty restrictive so i think this was a mod well worth it.

get a tune: we used i think a hypertech power programmer, and its worked wonders no matter what vehicle its used on, can typically pick one up for about 300 bucks and its worth every penny.

throttle body spacers. not worth the money imo, money is better spent elsewhere, this is a trick from the old carburetor days and doesnt do much for efi.

underdrive pullies, i dont think they are worth it, but some people like them, so they may be worth a try.

there are plenty of other things, but those are the most popular bolt ons. if you want to go deeper you can do things like camshafts, blowers, nitrous, better intake (trickflow offers an efi 4.6 intake manifold, which is a great piece to go with a cam upgrade.) my .02, start with some better rear end gears, then make sure your suspension and drivetrain is up to snuff. of course, a tuneup is always in order before you go modding your mod motor :)

He needs to ditch the flows and get something with glass or other type of packing in it...backpressure can be your friend and give you more low end.Agreed on the headers though truk would be easier with a set of shorties.The CAI CAN be helpful but ONLY if it's actually sucking cold air not just underhood air temps.The programmers are money well spent but if you decide to get a custom burn chip have it done after the mods.....it'll tune it to what you've done so far = efficient power.The TB spacers are junk nuff said.Underdrive pullies are a cheap and valuable upgrade i love the set on my truck.Short of power adders a cam upgrade would be the best bet....In the case of the stang...a short throw shifter would be good.....on both sides of the fence with automoatics...consider stall converters....

He needs to ditch the flows and get something with glass or other type of packing in it...backpressure can be your friend and give you more low end.Agreed on the headers though truk would be easier with a set of shorties.The CAI CAN be helpful but ONLY if it's actually sucking cold air not just underhood air temps.The programmers are money well spent but if you decide to get a custom burn chip have it done after the mods.....it'll tune it to what you've done so far = efficient power.The TB spacers are junk nuff said.Underdrive pullies are a cheap and valuable upgrade i love the set on my truck.Short of power adders a cam upgrade would be the best bet....In the case of the stang...a short throw shifter would be good.....on both sides of the fence with automoatics...consider stall converters....

we did alot of things to that car, i just gave a basic run down of the easy mods. in a mustang, your money is better spent trying to get the power to the pavement on better suspension, drivetrain and like you mentioned a short throw shifter, or torque converter.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yea they already come with plenty of power just don't have the right suspension to transfer it back without excessive spinning...gears also helps but I doubt anyone here would like to get that involved.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
What do you mean "that involved"? are you talking about gears for a truck or for a mustang? If you are talking about a car, I plan on regearing my Mark VIII to 4.30 this winter. Gear changes on a car are cheap and work. one of the better "bang for the buck" mods. Thats if I am even on the same page as you. :D 500 posts, woo hoo!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yes I am referring to gears in either a truck or car ....not many people can dial the gears in correctly the way they need to be...anyone can take stuff off and put stuff on......

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Well, just this morning, I tuned my 4.6 DOHC in my 1997 Mark VIII.

I highly recommend SCT Products now. :) I have the Xcal 2 with two custom tunes in it from a Mark VIII buddy, and wow, it woke this thing up.

It chirped second, no problem. :)

Ford Truck Articles