Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any auto trans experts around

Hey guys my 77 f250 c6 has a problem which i believe is from sitting for so long. Some times when i try to put it into gear (any of em) it dosent click in but if i play the leaver back and forth a few times it will click in and drive fine then occasionally when stopping it will pop back in to a neutral like state again requireing me to play with the shifter. I am thinking its just valves occasionally sticking in the trans. Any ideas will be aprreciated.

im not an expert by any means but have you checked your tranny linkage?? it could be loose and by playing with the shifter allows the linkage to move just enough to engage the trans so the the truck can be driven and then when you stop it might just move enough to disengage the trans requiring you to move the shifter again to make the truck move. like i said im no expert in any means and im not even sure if the linkage can be adjusted. but i would atleast check to see if it can be adjusted and then try to adjust as nessessary to allow the trans to function properly. i had a friend who had an old chebby 4x4 with an at in it and the linkage was so outta whack that it would go from park to drive with no problem engaging but if you tried to shift in l2 or l1 shifter wouldnt move for nothing and he had a mechanic look at it and they said the linkage was so bound up and screwed up that he was suprised that the truck was even drivable. he wound up scrapping the truck and got 300 for it rather than trying to sell it to some one who could fix it and actually get use from it. so just some food for thought there.

Ford Truck Articles