Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any 5.4 problems?

Just bought a 2003 F-350 with the 5.4 with 05k miles. I have been a diesel freak for years and just got a good deal on this one. Any major problems with the 5.4 that I might not know about? I know about the manifolds and plugs going south but, is there anything else? Thanks!

Derek,

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
No real major problems with them. They like to blow sparkplugs out of the heads but can be easily fixed. And the exhaust manifolds and hardware like to rot away.

No real major problems with them. They like to blow sparkplugs out of the heads but can be easily fixed. And the exhaust manifolds and hardware like to rot away.

I've noticed that. Well it runs really good and drives fine. I'll just have to drop a Cummins in it someday! LOL!!! Thanks! By the way my truck has 95k miles on it not 05k! I just noticed that!

rambler

New Shoes......
just rolled 203K on my 5.4,, had two sparkplugs do the blow out,, but fixed them,, it still runs strong ( uses a little oil now) and have a leak in the radiator but will still do what I need it to do..

just rolled 203K on my 5.4,, had two sparkplugs do the blow out,, but fixed them,, it still runs strong ( uses a little oil now) and have a leak in the radiator but will still do what I need it to do..

Oh ok! So simple little stuff then? I noticed my manifolds are very rusty. I want to replce them with shorty headers but I feel I will open a can of worms with the bolds snapping! We shall see! Thanks!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Oh ok! So simple little stuff then? I noticed my manifolds are very rusty. I want to replce them with shorty headers but I feel I will open a can of worms with the bolds snapping! We shall see! Thanks!

You maybe better changing them now before a stud breaks or the manifold rots off. Not to bad to do. Use a torch and cut all the nuts off the studs then pull manifold off. Use stud extractor to remove the rest of the stud may have to heat the head slightly. If you wait to long and one breaks it's a pain to get out have to drill out or attempt to weld a nut to the little nub thats left.

You maybe better changing them now before a stud breaks or the manifold rots off. Not to bad to do. Use a torch and cut all the nuts off the studs then pull manifold off. Use stud extractor to remove the rest of the stud may have to heat the head slightly. If you wait to long and one breaks it's a pain to get out have to drill out or attempt to weld a nut to the little nub thats left.

Arent the heads aluminum? Heating could be tricky.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes we do em all the time at the stop, usually when they break and you start to drill em they turn into the head so they come out easly. I used expedition/F150 headers on my cousins 03 F250SD with the 5.4, all you have to do is cut the ERG plug from the back of the header and weld the hole up. Take the wheel wells out and its all in your face.

5.4s dont have probs unless they arnt taken care of, the plugs blow out from coming lose from not changing on time.

Pasesetter headers from ebay, like 180 i think.
40526508762_ORIG.jpg

1040526508771_ORIG.jpg

Yes we do em all the time at the stop, usually when they break and you start to drill em they turn into the head so they come out easly. I used expedition/F150 headers on my cousins 03 F250SD with the 5.4, all you have to do is cut the ERG plug from the back of the header and weld the hole up. Take the wheel wells out and its all in your face.

5.4s dont have probs unless they arnt taken care of, the plugs blow out from coming lose from not changing on time.

Pasesetter headers from ebay, like 180 i think.
40526508762_ORIG.jpg

1040526508771_ORIG.jpg

Thank you soooo much! Did the headers cost much?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Thank you soooo much! Did the headers cost much?

They were like 180 on ebay I think.

I also recommend doing the coils while you are doing the plugs, they are common and cheap insurance to do.

Ford Truck Articles