Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Antifreeze leak.

Fellro

Staff member
If it is in the cab, the only way in is from the heater core. If you have a non-factory air truck, then you have to take the dash out. If you have a factory air truck, then the air box on the outside of the firewall is where the core is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Tell tale sign of the heater core...you'll probably start noticing a green fog forming on the lower part of your windshield as well. It's not too difficult of a job to to do, even easier if your rig doesn't have A/C...but if it does, this is the direction I always use:

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/heater/index.htm

I don't have A/C. I pulled apart a cab a couple of years ago but I don't remember how I got the air box out. I think I kept it from the parts truck. I haven't been getting the foggy window, It smelled like antifreeze in my truck and I pulled up the floor mat and saw where it was coming from. I think I have only used the heater twice since I've owned the truck.

Check the hose where it attaches to the heater core tube under the hood first.
Sometimes the rubber cracks and coolant leaks from there into the cab.

Hey I just had the same problem replaced my heater core loosened passenger side bolt for dash and middle bolt for dash wiggled right out replaced it with new on one $30 and an hour and u will be good to go

I priced out a heater core at NAPA, and here it is $70, and a water pump, new is $80, and the re-man water pump with the core is $50. I'm going to be parking the 78 soon for the winter, so I'll buy the parts over the winter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts