Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another alternator

Fellro

Staff member
I can agree on being relatively cheap, but many of the newer alternators are so much trouble to get apart, that it isn't worth it. His shouldn't have been that bad, but since so few people are doing them any more, it is getting harder to get ahold of the individual pieces like that. Used to be you could go in and get a rebuild kit for alternators, but isn't so easy any more.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
For what it's worth, I was always taught that a new alternator should bring a new battery. (I played that little "game" through 3 alternators and 2 batteries on my Ranger)

On the other hand, the stock battery in the Silverado lasted 7 years, 152K miles...I was proud of that thing.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So when I'm shopping for a new battery...I won't hurt anything by going with a battery that has a higher CCA rating that what was stock, right?

I know I need the same physical size (unless I want to screw with the mounting, and I don't) but I don't want to go damaging anything electrical because I'm an idiot.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So when I'm shopping for a new battery...I won't hurt anything by going with a battery that has a higher CCA rating that what was stock, right?

I know I need the same physical size (unless I want to screw with the mounting, and I don't) but I don't want to go damaging anything electrical because I'm an idiot.
If it's pushing considerably more amperage then you'll want to also upgrade your charge cable, otherwise you could heat it up and melt the insulation (and later cause a fire). If you're unsure, you can mount the higher power alt and just keep an eye on the charge cable under a decent load. If it feels cool to the touch then you should be fine. Starting to get warm and you've got problems.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

...If you're unsure, you can mount the higher power alt...

I have no reason (or desire) to run a bigger-than-stock alternator.

I'm just making sure that changing from a stock, 590 CCA battery (I think that's what was stock) to, say, a 650 (or 750, or whatever) CCA battery won't screw anything up. I can't see why it would, but I'm pretty well an idiot on electrical stuff.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Crap :headbang: There I go reading to quickly again :rofl:

Not sure how many CCA your battery cables can handle. But I can't imagine that a small bump would fry your wires in the small amount of time that you're using the CCA anyway... You're never going to be cranking the engine for more than a couple seconds at a time.

EDIT: Thinking about it more... You might run into more of a problem with starter... I'd be more concerned about frying the starter and/or wiring. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
My Ranger had a 560 CCA when I got it, I bumped it up to a 750 with no issues whatsoever, ran it that way for two years. Started like a champ.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Crap :headbang: There I go reading to quickly again :rofl:

Not sure how many CCA your battery cables can handle. But I can't imagine that a small bump would fry your wires in the small amount of time that you're using the CCA anyway... You're never going to be cranking the engine for more than a couple seconds at a time.

EDIT: Thinking about it more... You might run into more of a problem with starter... I'd be more concerned about frying the starter and/or wiring. Just thinking out loud.

A larger battery will Not put more load on the starter or anything else. If a wire will not handle the current running through it, it will fail wether it is a 450CCA battery or a 750 CCA battery. CCA has no effect on it.

CCA = is the industry rating of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0F for 30 seconds before the voltage drops below 7.2V. The higher the CCA of a battery the better chance you have to start your vehicle when it is cold out or there is a large draw on the battery.

RC = is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80F will supply 25A before the voltage drops below 10.5V.

When you select a battery, choose the largest physical size battery that will properly fit in your vehicle and has the highest CCA & RC available.

Note: You can fry starters by cranking them for long periods without letting them cool off between attempts to start.

Alternators only supply the amount of power required by the vehicles electrical system at a given time up to there maximum output. A larger alternator will not overload the system and fry any wires.

www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html
www.autobatteries.com/basics/selecting.asp

Ford Truck Articles