Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

amazed by the MPG's this truck can get

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok. So in the time i've been driving it. typically ln a tank of gas, running it to about a 1/8 of a tank. i can get about 160 miles out of it.. take around 14 gallons to fill back up...

That's all mixed driving highway and city. 60% City, 40% highway.. so it comes out to be a bout 12 mixed.

yesterday drove to my dads hometown Westmoreland, TN and back, and got some AMAZING NUMBERS...... Most of the way was backroads doing 60-70 on them, and about 40 miles of interstate i was doing 80-85

I drove 214 miles on just a lil over 3/4 of tank... 11 gallons to fill up....

19.45 MPG's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FRIGGIN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i went pretty easy on the gas peddle as far as stop and goes..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Your gearing would hurt your highway mpg's for sure. If everything is set up just so, it can be decent.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I wish my truck would get that. Couldn't get 19mpg even if I drove down the side of a mountain.

4.10's are just about perfect for an AOD truck, that trans has a stupid deep overdrive ratio(0.67) and your truck is pretty light compared to most being a reg cab 2wd.

For camparison my 5.9(357) powered 5000lb beast managed close to 18mpg with the cruise set at 70mph, it's also got the AOD and with the TQ of that motor it would rarely ever drop a gear even when climbing some pretty big hills.

I need to get some 4.56s for my truck. That would put the effective ratio around that of a truck with 4.10s with stock size tires.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Sounds good... I always heard a good 302 in a good setup could get ~20MPG....

And x2 on 4.10s being just right behind an aod. Lower gear keeps from straining the trans on takeoff and keeps from bogging down in OD.

.67 is waay to high for an OD in most applications IMHO.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Try 3:08 's and that set up . Out west I got 22-3mPG in 4x4 . Home in hills 13MPG

Have good one

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles