Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

alt?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive got a snow plow on my 92f150 and already installed 2 batterys,but it seems like my alternater is gettin weak. anyone one know what the bigest amp alt i can get for it would be?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I also would like to know what is the biggest parts swap you can upgrade to without having to upgrade wiring, etc.

Ryan

100-130 amp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ryan-- any upgrade at all will require a new charge cable; that's just the way it goes.

As far as the 200amp alternator is concerned--- I read somewhere on RJM Injection (this guy knows his stuff about alternators) that anything higher than his 160amp alternator is useless because the belt will slip on the pulley when you pull that much load. Keep in mind that your alternator is somewhat of an electromagnet and it's potential is not limitless. RJM sells a 200amp alternator and could easily take your money by telling you it works fine-- but he added that disclaimer about it anyways and basically said use at your own risk. That makes me trust his word.

You can piece together a 130amp alternator or buy one from your local parts house. They can be found on some 3.8L Taurus engines, some Explorers/Rangers, and late 7.3L Powerstroke engines. Or you can buy the 160amp from RJM Injection-- I believe it's got all 130amp components except with an upgraded 160amp rectifier.

The charge cable that you'll need for the upgrade can also be found at RJM Injection:
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=7

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
yup thats what was lookin for, somthing thats just a simple swap. that ol 92 ive got isnt realy worth stickin big money into for now. i wll admitt she's been a rock soilid dependable truck,havent put a wrench on her in 3 years other then mantanence.

Ford Truck Articles