Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Almost ran out of gas, now Ranger is missing

Hi, i have a 2000 Ford Ranger with 3.0 v6, xlt, auto, 2 dr. The same thing happened to me a few months ago.
I looked at my gas gauge and i was reallly low! I was going up a big hill and i knew i was running out. Luckily i managed to get over that hill and to the gas station. I must of ran out right at the pumps. So i filled up and tried to crank her over and she would not start. It took me about 10 minutes to get her started. The truck was missing. The next morning when i started it up there was a rough idle. I then proceded to diagnose the problem using the probe device from Autozone. It read #6 misfire. So after a couple days the rough idling just went away.
The same thing just happened, i was really low on gas and it was running funny. I eventually made it, but now when i start it up, the idle is very rough again.
Could it be a clog some where, filter or something?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
change your filter, just because sometimes when you run it completely dry you suck up some of the sediment from the bottom of the tank.

On the flip side, it sometimes can take a while to work out the air bubbles from the system.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
whoops - I'm not supposed to reply here, I just realized what forum this is in. A tech will be along shortly.

Ryan
Fifty lashes with a worn serpentine belt! As for the filter, its on the frame rail, held on by a bolt right next to the transfer case. You'll have some clips to remove on the lines as well.

started it up this morning and it was worse, very rough idling, check engine light started blinking at 1 point, and i hear a slight clicking noise coming from under the hood? I put 6 new plugs in yesterday but no luck.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
started it up this morning and it was worse, very rough idling, check engine light started blinking at 1 point, and i hear a slight clicking noise coming from under the hood? I put 6 new plugs in yesterday but no luck.

If the CEL was accually blinking that means you have no fire in one of the cylinders, what happens is when you get a lack of spark and a severe misfire to one cylinder the CEL will blink and the pcm will shut off the injector to the dead hole to avoid melting a cat. Anyways I would scan it to see what cylinder is still skiping then check the wire to that hole maybe ever put some new wires on. If that doesn't help you maybe looking at a bad coil pack, you could also do a compression test on that cylinder also just to make sure, if theres no compression you'll get the same concern as well.

Ford Truck Articles